Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I go about it, I can fit LEDs in the switches but how do I go about blue lights in the speedo/rev/temp/fuel, Light switch and surround, Heater controls, Clock and door handle lights??

·
MEG Ba5tard!
1,208 Posts
I'm currently doing this but in red. The window switches were done by myself by soldering in some led's i bought off fleabay. The instrument cluster bulbs can be bought from ultraleds.com and are a straight swap. The clock and front/rear heated screen switches are being led'd up by a mate who is much cleverer at soldering than me and. I have not looked at the headlight switch or heater dials yet but reckon they should be ok. Quite a few people have done this already so they should be able to provide more of an insight.

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
How do I go about it, I can fit LEDs in the switches but how do I go about blue lights in the , and , Clock and ??

light switch surround and Heater controls - you can either change the bulbs for LEDs in these which looks rubbish IMO or drill some holes in the back and wire teh LEDs in that way. Iv done it that way loads of times.

Light switch - I usually use a 286 LED, spiral 1 leg so it makes a good contact with the middle contact. Insulte teh edges of it so it doesnt touch teh sides. Then for teh other leg i cant really remember TBH, but your a smart guy, you will know when you see it

door handle lights - Solder LED to one leg of an LED and then join wires to the ends. Insulte them then you just cut teh old wires and join if you have them standard. If not tehn you need to wire them into teh window switches. I just aim the LEDs from teh top and tape them down. Works well

Clock - Tricky, but not impossible. Solder 4 LEDs close together in series, snip the ends of the LEDs to make teh light spread more evenly. And then figure out which part of teh bulb slot to solder the LEDs in.

speedo/rev/temp/fuel - You want the brightest 286 Bulbs you can find. Ones with flat ends are best. Reove the bulbs from the old holders and fit teh LEDs in as best you can. Make sure they work before you fit them to the car tho. You can also fit some extra LEDs in by placing tehm where you want/need extra light. Solder them to a power source and tape them onto the plasic. These will fit inside the housing rather than fitting them through the back (like teh heater panel)

Thats a brief description. If theres anything your not sure of then just ask

·
Working on the Choo-Choo trains
1,950 Posts
Or you could do it the easy way and get it all off Guardtower like I did :L

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.