Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yup, had the bluefin on my tdci 130 for 3 days,

Not massive gains but noticeableish,

Unfortunately its made my clutch slip like mad in any gear, so its going back. Clucth is fine without the map on but it has done 80k

How much would a new clutch and DMflywheel cost?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Surely if using the Bluefin causes the clutch to "slip like mad in any gear" and removing the Bluefin stops the clutch from slipping then it is producing considerably more power/torque than standard with the Blufin installed ?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've got a tuning box on my car, producing very noticeable gains and haven't noticed any issues with my clutch. Same couldn't be said of the Fabia PD130 I drove with a similar tuning box on! Clutch slip city!!! :O

Chris

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
I think returning the bluefin is like buring your head in the sand. If your clutch is slipping with the power gain then it's only a matter of time now untill it will be slipping as standard.

You'll have to replace your clutch soon (unless your going to sell quickly) and then once you have a good clutch again you'll be able to take advantage of your new found power, or you'll be kicking yourself for returning it when when you could be enjoy it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the clutch starts to slip when standard i will replace it.

Then get another bluefin.

Its not as if ive lost money. i can always buy another one....

But the gains wern't that impressive for £500

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
Yeh, I see your point. If you can get a full refund then why not. Get you clutch repaired and stick a used tuning box on it. I'm well chuffed with mine :L

·
MEG Corporal
1,091 Posts
i think 30+ bhp for £500 is pretty good value in my opinion

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
who's says it is clos to 130?

most 130 diesels put out closer to 140.

then 20bhp max. alot of money.

When my 130 Ibiza cost £450 to get nearly 50bhp!

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
ScoobyChris said:
Who says they're closer to 140bhp? :} :} Ford's accurate engine bench dyno says it's close to 130bhp - I know which I'll believe ;)
It's all the same in terms of percentage improvement though eg.

130 real vs. 140 according to the rolling road.
Then 160 after the bluefin tested on the same rolling road. Therefore still only 20bhp or so increase which isn't great.

But how about the Bromley's tunit report. The mondeo started out at 147 according to the dyno but only achieved 167 at the end. You could read this two ways.

1. It only had 130 at the start and only really achieved 157 at the end.

2. It really did achieve 167hp.

The team at Bromley's did comment that the actually gains were lower than expected due to high output of the original car.

http://www.tunit.com/resource/press_releases/175-brom-tuningmondeo.pdf

This could indicate that there is a max achieveable power output through adjustment of standard setup. Therefore if you already have a fast one then you won't get as much increase.

Now I know this has been raked over many times and each group of followers (Ford, VW etc) think their cars are more powerfull than claimed but some cars do get quicker as they get a few miles on them. Also not all engine are equal, you get good ones and bad ones (mines a peach :cool: ) so isn't it possible that there is a natural spread of 10 hp either side of 130hp and it's just the luck of the draw which you get.

Take MPG for example - I seem to get 47 to 48mpg but some other TDCi owners are fighting to get low 40's. It seems to indicate that there is some difference between indenticle engines.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
TdciDick said:
Also not all engine are equal, you get good ones and bad ones (mines a peach :cool: ) so isn't it possible that there is a natural spread of 10 hp either side of 130hp and it's just the luck of the draw which you get.
Either side?! :surprised: I still can't believe that manufacturing tolerances are that poor that engine to engine there are cars producing nearly 20bhp more than they should. I'd suggest that the variation is down to the rolling roads used to measure them ;)

I'm also not sure on your mpg argument ... there are just too many variables to compare two identical cars (driver, weather, traffic, tyres, tyre pressures, hills, etc) and I bet if I drove your car, the mpg would be lower than if you drove it ;)

Chris

·
MEG Corporal
1,091 Posts
bluefin can be removed in a couple of minutes, it can also read fault codes and be used as an immobiliser.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.