Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This has happened to me twice this week. On starting the engine the boot has decided to open by itself. At 1st i thought i had my finger on the boot release button on the fob as i turned the key but when it happened today i know i didnt.

Any ideas

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TalkFord.com

·
12 Posts
Yes. I've got this problem too only very recently. ( Mondeo 2.2 ghia x 55 plate). Extremely annoying, the only thing I do is to lock the doors before turning the key to start the engine, [pain in the butt when you forget!, any cures appreciated.!

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
Dodgy boot handle switch or interior button.

Disconnect one at a time until you find the culprit.

Any other locking issues? A faulty drivers door module can also have strange symptoms. It controls
all the locking.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just started car to go to work,it didnt happen with drivers door shut but it opened twice while driving. Locking the doors stopped it.

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
Its the boot switch or the interior button.. Disconnect one of them, Boot 1st if it was me
and then if it doesnt do it again you found the fault.

Simply replace that switch.

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
Interior button on the dash unless you have a late 2005/2006/2007 car where ford decided it was too dear
to fit one.

Exterior is the boot handle switch in the errr handle

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Daft question but as a temporary measure,is there a fuse i can i remove to stop the boot opening uncontrollably? I rarely use the boot anyway

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
No fuse, Unplug the handle and/or the interior switch.

Both 5 minute jobs.

Or make sure you lock the door before starting the car. Use the spare non remote key for a week
also, See if that sorts it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi, i have just had this same issue... simply open tail gate and remove trim by undoing the few phillips screws and then pulling the trim away as its held on with the clips on lugs... once the trim is out the way locate the wire harness plug for the boot opening switch and simply disconnect it... the switch has a common fault with damp issues there is a couple of fixes on here, but i would just replace it if i was you... you will still be able to use the button on your key to pop boot open and the button on dash will still work (if you have one fitted)...

hope this has helped if you havnt already sorted this issue out...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i did disconnect something! It was a big white connector! Im not very mechanical. However, whatever i unplugged stopped the boot opening uncontrollably but now i cant open the boot from either the fob or dash and the door open warning is permanently on the dash. Have i unplugged the wrong thing?

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
Sounds like you unplugged the wiring for the lock.

If its an early car it will have a keyhole, If its a later one you will need to climb into the boot
to do it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.