Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Roomey
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just going up grade to Volvo XC90 callipers, I know I need 336mm discs but I’ve notice different thickness of disc does anyone know what thickness disc I need before order them
Thanks
In advance
Roomey

·
Super Moderator
31,434 Posts
Depends on the year and the engine but most of the 336mm discs are 27mm thick. Whatever model/engine/spec
XC90 the calipers came from is what discs you require.

Some of the XC90 discs are only 316mm though.

·
MEG Corporal
2,820 Posts
As above, get the discs and pads for the model that the caliper (and mounting bracket) have come from.

I have the 316mm discs (from a S-Max, but same as the Volvo's)...from memory the pads are the same for the 336mm setup, it's just that the mounting bracket is bigger to allow for the larger disc. I considered the 336mm setup but those discs are really heavy!
You can use use some online brake catalogues to check out the parts and sizes, eg: Mintex or Brembo give good information.

·
Super Moderator
31,434 Posts
Get some 336mm discs and shave them down to 300mm and save some weight... :D

Edit: Sorry... :D

·
MEG Corporal
2,820 Posts
...from memory the pads are the same for the 336mm setup, it's just that the mounting bracket is bigger to allow for the larger disc.
Seems my memory is wrong, just looked up the pads and they are different.

·
Registered
2013 Mondeo Titanium X Sport Ecoboost
327 Posts
I replaced my discs with Slotted and pitted discs on both my previous Mondeo and my new one. They're the same size as the originals, but much better stopping power as the grooves and dimples eliminate brake fade.
I've also replaced the rubber hoses with braided ones.
My car stops on it's nose!

·
Silver Fox
290 Posts
Won't the big Volvo discs and calipers add a lot of un-sprung weight?

·
MEG Corporal
2,820 Posts
Yes, that was my concern and why I went with 316mm discs. Caliper is still massive and heavy compared to the standard one.

Wood Auto part Automotive wheel system Machine Metal

Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jesus they're massive, car must stop on a dime. Never thought of putting XC90 brakes on the Mondeo. Much difference in cost over a standard discs and pads change?

·
MEG Corporal
2,820 Posts
It's better for sure, but the biggest improvement is long braking performance as it's less likely to suffer brake fade which I found out a few times on the motorway when everyone suddenly brakes hard.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Hi

Ensure disc bore is correct 63.5 / 63.6mm for Ford hubs. Volvo have various diameters to suit model variations.

Peter

·
MEG Corporal
2,820 Posts
That's a very good point for the OP. The XC90 has a bigger bore, 68mm according to this diagram.

Font Parallel Engineering Schematic Circle

A better option is the V70 setup.

Schematic Line Font Slope Rectangle

Brembo brake book HERE will help you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts