Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Brake pipes and bushes

611 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  welly 
#1 ·
Hi again folks,

Couple of wee silly questions for you if you don't mind. :D

Advisory note on the new Mondey's MOT for "main brake pipe" and also a free inspection with large national chain (not sure if I can say who here!) indicated rear brake pipes dangerously corroded. Personally I think that lot are taking the P coz it was the most expensive thing on the list they gave me of stuff wrong with the car and how did the pipes get from MOT standard to dangerous in 2 months? Then again, don't really know alot, so erm, is it possible? My local independant garage can't fit me in til this time next week. So meantime, and apologies for my naivety here, but where exactly are the brake pipes on a Mondey and what do they look like? Want to have a nosey myself and make my own mind up. Was also told by above national chain that the pipes had to be tailor made to fit the car, that there are no off the shelf parts - that true or still taking the P? Finally, on the brake pipe front, can the brake pipes be fitted off a scrappy car if in good condition and in any case, what's my likely cost for this? Don't mind spending the money coz I absolutely adore this car.

Last question for now - polyurethane wishbone bushes, any of you guys use them and know where to get them for a Mondeo? Been confirmed by 2 garages that they will be needed soon on the front.

Thanks folks. :D

See less See more
#2 ·
The original brake pipes fitted at the factory are made from steel, over time they rust and deteriorate. During an MOT I'm pretty sure they inspect the pipes visually and measure the diameter of the pipes to figure out how much swelling has occured from the rust and ascertain if they are safe and road worthy. Replacement pipes are generally made from copper and are bent into shape to fit. Given the materials, shape and dimensions of brake pipes I don't think it's necessary to sell them as off the shelf parts, think of it as tubing that can be cut and bent into almost any shape and length, hence 'custom made' From what I've gathered the rear subframe and fuel tank has to be dropped in order to gain access to remove and fit new brake pipes. As a result the labour charges can be quite high. Hope that sums it up for you.

#5 ·
[quote name=mondeo.man662]If your having new brake pipes, invest in braided ones :L[/quote]

but only to replace the rubber ones not the steel ones :whistling: :L

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is it maybe an idea to do all the pipes and the hoses at the same time? Would they need to bleed the system to do the hoses? I'm guessing they need to, to change the pipes, so might save some expense in the long run. Going to ask for new brake fluid in there tho, don't know when it was last changed.

Planning to upgrade the bushes, brakes, etc eventually so braided brake hoses can go on me list. :D

#7 ·
Just a tip.

If you have the steel pipes fitted (ie. original) the best way to prevent the corrosion I found is to get a spray can of motorcycle chain lube (which comes with a pipe) and give the brake pipe routed around the fuel tank a good coating.

My mondy is over 10 years old and still has the original pipes. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.