Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I was quoted £460 for new brakes, discs and callipers on my 2001 1.7 Puma. He then rang me and asked me to go back in and said the brake fluid pipes were leaking brake fluid so he would have to change them too. He then quoted £640. I had no option but to agree as he said I could not drive my car as too dangerous. This is at Kwikfit. Can anyone advise me if this price is about right. If it isn't, someone said Kwikfit have a price match policy, could I use this to try and get a reduction. Many thanks in advance.

·
Little Megger
317 Posts
in all probability you have fallen for sh!t fit bullsh!t.

worst place you could have took your car to get done.

ask them to keep the old parts to give back to you, they are yours to start with.

get another garage to check if they actually needed replacing.

a lot of people have experienced other problems after taking their cars to kwik fit.

hope it turns out okay for you.

·
Premium Member
12,458 Posts
I would of said £150 tops for all the parts needed, 4 hours labour at £60 an hour, so £390 parts and labour tops for a back street garage to do the job. If truth be told am sure most places would be cheaper then that. I would never use KF myself. What area are you roughly from? Am sure someone on here could recommend a decent garage in your area that would look after you and be far cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks everyone. He is doing the work now and should be ready to pick up tomorrow. I had no alternative really as he had the wheels off and brakes etc when he said brake pipes leaking. He said I could not drive it so couldn't ask him to put everything back together. I will ring a few local garages in the morning and ask for quotes,perhaps if I take these in with me, I can barter him down on the price.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
have you had a look under the reviews tab along the top of the page? Click on it, and you will see the Trusted Garages forum, have a look through those to see if there is a local one to you.

As said above, i think someone is pulling your leg. £600+ is a ripoff to be honest.

Just be careful if there is a brake problem, usually there will be fluid loss, which usually resuls in brake fluid all over a wheel, or down the bodywork. Either way you'll be getting a puddle.

If you aren't afraid of popping the bonnet, open it up and check the fluid level in the master cylinder.

it is circled in the diagram. If you look on the side of it there will be "min" and "max" marked on it. It needs to be above minumum, and below or at maximum, no higher.

low fluid usually indicates either really worn pads and or a leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, the brake fluid level was OK when I last checked about two weeks ago and as I said, no puddles under car or fluid on wheels as I cleaned the car by hand and the wheels two days before I took her to Kwikfit. The problem now is how do I challenge this bill when they have done the work. I had no choice but to agree to it as they had both wheels off all the brakes etc and then said I couldn't drive it as it would be illegal?!

·
Little Megger
317 Posts
if you get the chance ring some other garages for a quote.

i don't know where you stand if you have agreed for them to do the work.

all i could suggest is writing "paid under protest" on the invoice, but you say you gave the go ahead and knew the cost they quoted, so you might not be able to do anything.

one thing i would make sure of is that they have done the work correctly and have not caused any more faults to appear.

ask to take it for a drive before you hand your money over.

it's happened to all of us, it's a learning curve and makes you much wiser, i know that won't help you now, but next time it will.

if it makes you feel any better i once took my car for a service at fords expecting to about 100-200, i came away with my wallet 750-800 lighter, and that was a few years ago.

some advice , don't ever use kwik-fit again.

·
Registered
624 Posts
that price is rediculous, change braking compenents is the easiest thing in the world even with no mechanical experience. the pasrt would cost no more than £100 and could all be changed in an afternoon if ur on your own

1 - 9 of 9 Posts