Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Big Megger
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first had this problem about two months ago but fixed it by topping up the brake fluid, cos I thought it might be caused by a low fluid level... but it's back, so here goes:

the handbrake/abs warning light comes on for (so it seems) no reason at all... this happens when:
1) turning quite fast (stays on while turning, then turns off again)
2) stepping off the brake at a traffic light (either turns off after about 2 seconds or stays on for about 10 seconds)

The brakes are working fine so far, it's not the handbrake sensor as far as I can tell... any ideas?

Before anyone says it, I'm gonna take it to Ford's asap, but I didn't have the opportunity to do that by now.. :thankyousign:

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
the key for me is your point 1) , dodgy wire somewhere , where though i dont know , also have you checked the thickness of the pads ???? :L

·
Big Megger
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somebody told me that's a common fault among ford's, nothing to worry about, but I'm not so sure...

Haven't checked discs/pads, but the MOT man said the brakes were looking good 2 months ago, so I didn't think about that.

Just a thought, could it be a leak somewhere?
Thx for your input so far!

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
has the level in the master cylinder reservoir dropped noticeably ???? , dont forget it will drop slowly due to the pads and shoes wearing :L

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
okies , make sure you post back the result :L

·
MEG Corporal
533 Posts
Layman said:
the handbrake/abs warning light comes on for (so it seems) no reason at all... this happens when:
1) turning quite fast (stays on while turning, then turns off again)
2) stepping off the brake at a traffic light (either turns off after about 2 seconds or stays on for about 10 seconds)
That all suggests to me that the brake fkuid is low and the level is falling below the sensor level in turns and on take off.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
logical i reckon :L

·
Big Megger
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked it today, and the fluid level is indeed low, though I'm sure I topped it up about 2 months or so ago, so I guess I'll have the hoses checked anyway, just to be on the secure side. It seems odd to me that it could possibly drop that much in that period...

·
MEG Corporal
533 Posts
I would check ALL the calipers/wheel cylinders - front and rear - for any fluid weeps: that is where the most likely source of any leak is. Failing that then the pipe work - especially the metal pipe work: carefully follow it wherever it goes, especially any that go over the fuel tank - common point of failure due to rust. Don't ignore the exit point at the bottom of the reservoir.

·
Big Megger
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I heard about the corroding thing, I guess I'll have a word with my local garage about it. Gotta have to get the hoses for the windscreen washer fixed anyway before winter really sets in, guess it's time by now :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.