Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can brakes(pads 5-7mm friction matterial left) wear cause the front to vibrate as though the wheels are not balanced ?
it happens on certain motorway surfaces only speed at and just abit above 70 and sometimes on sharp braking from 70-60.

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
also to add to the confusion sometimes when i stop and revers for parking i got a click as though the calipper has given back and the pad is loose. another thing more apparent recently is when i stop after driving a while on a trafic lights or to wait on a slope and release the pedal slightly allowing the car to move, there is a sound like the pad are sticking to the discs and giving up gradually.
any ideas, please?
:thankyousign:

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
I'm no expert, but it could be warped discs, or it could be sticking pistons in the calliper, or the caliper itself not moving freely. Sounds like you need to clean the calipers up a bit, make sure they are free, and check the movement of the pistons. The rubber dust covers can perish and allow water/damp in, and the ground surface becomes pitted and rusty. Sometimes a good stripdown and clean will sort it.

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
wow,
i scrubbed the rust(and dust) and oiled (wd40)the rubber bits(protecting the sides of the pistons) a few weeks ago when i replaced the knuckles with new bearings. also put "plenty" of copper grease on all contact surfaces. I am not so concerned of the rubbing noise when breakes applyed and the car is moving a bit.
The main prob is the vibration i get on the different motorway sufaces. I noticed that after changing the front tyres(and before changed the knuckles), but went back for rebalancing and got them rebalanced at another place. so it is not the tyres i believe.
my fronts shocks are adjustable and at hihger settings the vibration is damped to sertain extend, but that is not the way to cure it.

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
i've seen it and more like this.
but not particularly my simptoms. anyway i can't rule out warped discs, i bought the car 40k miles ago with them and the pads and they were fine till i replaced the front tyres. might be coincidence but i am not quite sure that the discs can get damaged after more than 40k. they are not worn out and the pads have plenty more on them. on other hand it does't happen always just depends on what the surface is. so there is definitely something not balanced properly anymore which is causing this vibration and the surface is kicking it out of balance. changed the bearings - no difference.
i very much like the idea to be worned out discs/pads and most likely pads are getting loose. i've got new set ready to be fit, just waiting for good weather option and more opinions. don't wanna get the new set damaged because of something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.