Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: Titanium X Bus Edn Estate. Just over 1 month old.

Problem:

Rear view mirror intermittently blurrs - I am unable to read reg plates - it appears that this is down to the glass moving inside the mirror as the problem is solved when gripping the mirror frame or applying pressure with a finger to the left hand side of the mirror when driving.

Took it to Dealer who I have eventually persuaded to re-fit a new one ( a half day job due to auto dim apparently). 'Master' Technician initially blamed rear dog cage (erm?!) as this in his opinion would 'throw his vision' (how scientific!!) *mm*

The problem does not seem to be directly linked to revs on their own (fine during static revving) but a combination of a course road surface and revs. Perhaps down to the sports suspension being standard on the bus. edition run outs?

I recall seeing a post where someone had a similar problem with a wing mirror.

Does anyone have any views or experience on this problem?

I am very frustrated and concerned that a brand new car should have such basic problems (I am also on my 3rd driver wiper blade (which still judders) after 2,000 miles!! Had a Honda Accord previously for 7 years without such issues.

Was I naive to believe the advice that Ford's reliability problems are behind them (especially that this car came from their main factory in Genk)

All thoughts and observations appreciated.

·
Little Megger
494 Posts
So the replacement mirror made no difference? This sounds very odd that you have had two mirrors both with the same defect. I have a 61 plate sport so I assume we have the same suspension and have never experienced this other than with the stereo turned up and a bassy song comes on.

If the dealer has fitted a new unit, I don't really think there is much more you can do about this. Keep us informed though.

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Never heard of such a thing. I could imagine that there is some vibration either from the stereo or driving too low in the rev range causing some blurriness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car is going back in for further investigations. Problem persists.

Struggling to believe that a new, nearly 30K car should have such a basic design flaw! It gives me headaches on long journeys.

2 mirrors now fitted and the problem remains but is fixed (upon occurrence) when touching / holding the mirror still whilst driving. It does not appear or feel loose but clearly there is some resonance somewhere causing the problems (which happens at various speeds and on various road surfaces).

In the absence of some other reasons, all things being equal this would to be a *meta design flaw *in fundamental basic car design. The dealer has suggested it is my eyesight!! The use of my hand to the mirror which immediately remedies the problem would suggest otherwise (never having had an issue anywhere else)!

How odd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As to low revs being a possibility, I do drive the car economically and I am getting 56 combined since owning.

However, the problem also happens at mid revs. It occurs when the car is happily cruising and not struggling at low revs.

·
Little Megger
317 Posts
it's too loose on the windscreen, causing it to vibrate, mine did this at certain times, unclipped it and used some blue tack to stop it, slid it back on and it stopped, unusual on a nearly new car though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts