Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Big Megger
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a best buy cover with all options (except European cover) have looked at a few in the £60 - £80 range but would like some recommendations based on personal experience please

·
Big Megger
597 Posts
I use AA Breakdown Repair Cover on mine and the wifes car and my Daughter has RAC Breakdown Repair Cover on her car. Last claim on my Mondeo Mk3 last year was for the in-tank fuel pump...£499!. Also claimed for other things. Main stipulations are that vehicle is correctly serviced and fault must lead to a breakdown by which you require "recovery". AA cover the repair bill to £500 max and RAC £750.

Admittedly it costs more for this type of cover on top of normal Recovery but if you join something like Quidco (for cashback) it can work out very reasonable indeed. For 3 vehicles on top of my normal AA cover I pay £80 for the years cover so about £27 each car which is well worth it for peace of mind.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,191 Posts
Work out exactly what options you want first of all.
I have personal RAC cover so that covers me driving or as a passenger in any vehicle. Thats a bit of a waste most of the time and I'd be better with vehicle based cover. My other half has personal and vehicle based cover so if im in her car, shes in my or many other combinations her cover will cover me.

I have home breakdown cover as although I wouldn't be bothered if my car wouldnt start I also do mostly short journeys in it and normal breakdown cover doesn't cover you at home or within half a mile from it.

Ive got normal recovery (which often only covers a ten mile radius or return to home) but also have onward recovery.
My RAC cover also give me legal assistance 24 hours per day but isnt just limited to motoring law and can deal with family law etc.

·
63 Posts
As others have said depends on what you want and experiances, I have AA roadside and relay, so I can at least get back home. I've never really bothered about homestart, but sometimes I got it complimentary or cheap, so taken it up.

Many years ago, one our cars lunched it's engine, so luckily we had relay to get home, so I've always had it since that experiance.

·
Big Megger
3,094 Posts
Thanks for the replies - the cover was for my son's BMW (I am covered by my CSMA car insurance) - decide to go with Green Flag at £84 for the full package. Just hope it's not needed!!

·
Super Moderator
30,323 Posts
Mines £120 with the RAC, but it also covers my caravan.

If i breakdown on the outward journey it will take the van to the site and then

take the car to be repaired. If it cannot be repaired then they will bring me home

and take the caravan to the storage also.

Fingers crossed, never needed it.

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts
No experience but:

Get your car serviced by a Ford dealer and it includes 1 year breakdown including Europe

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/service-promotions/assistance
I can vouch for this cover, as it does work. My old mk3 hatch dropped an valve on the engine. They got the car back to my address in the UK, plus I had a hire car to come home in & over the weekend to find a replacement car. This was from central France & all the ferry crossing needed. The best £200 on service & recovery. (if they did the service right in the 1st place they might have picked up and the engine problem, but that's another story.)

·
Super Moderator
30,323 Posts
Which engine dropped the valve?

·
Big Megger
3,064 Posts
I wonder if all Ford dealers offer this. I have had it previously, but when it was serviced in April this year, i didn't get the certificate.

Perhaps it's an additional cost to the dealer, so they don't all opt in to it,

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts

·
Big Megger
3,064 Posts
My dealer isn't on that list, so perhaps there is a cost to them to participate.

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts
I must admit there is one local dealer near me which is not on that list, use to know as Benfield Ford but is now called Lookers. Also I found that some dealerships have some on the list and others you would expect to be there aren't, strange.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,191 Posts
I must admit there is one local dealer near me which is not on that list, use to know as Benfield Ford but is now called Lookers. Also I found that some dealerships have some on the list and others you would expect to be there aren't, strange.
Lookers is a chain in its own right, so that may explain it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Mines £120 with the RAC, but it also covers my caravan.

If i breakdown on the outward journey it will take the van to the site and then

take the car to be repaired. If it cannot be repaired then they will bring me home

and take the caravan to the storage also.

Fingers crossed, never needed it.
Are you still with the RAC

I joined with personal cover in 1979 for everything but home start

In the past they have took me to Cornwall from Mcr with my Caravan

This year they want £184

·
Super Moderator
30,323 Posts
I had the RAC Arrival package and they too wanted something like £170 - £180 after discounting

from over £200. Left them and went to Green Flag Mayday for £130.

I was with the RAC for well over 20 years.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I had the RAC Arrival package and they too wanted something like £170 - £180 after discounting

from over £200. Left them and went to Green Flag Mayday for £130.

I was with the RAC for well over 20 years.
That Green flag mayday looks good in the brochure I have just looked up.

Couple of questions though.

Do you have to be in a caravan motorhome Club, the brochure i saw was caravan and motorhome clubs Then £132 as a premium cover price?

Have you had to use it yet?

Does it work the same way as RAC if you have or do you pay then claim it back for instance?

I ask because last year I threatened to leave the RAC and he gave me a load of spiel about GF being contractors who are deployed from a local garage, it's more like an insurance policy they don't have their own fleet etc

and in the end he caved to £175 for 15 month instead of 12 and i didn't change.

Then i remembered that every time the RAC van man has been unable to fix my car they have arranged for a Contractor to take me further :~)

·
Super Moderator
30,323 Posts
Not had to call them out, Only swapped last year and not used the van since.

Yes GF have contractors, but its still the same cover. The same as you get some good

RAC guys and some useless ones. And yep your right about the RAC using contractors

also. Just remembered back in the 90's i broke down on the way to Skegness (oil pump failure)

they arranged a local garage to take me there and bring my car back home.

When its a van with Green Flag on the side or a local company they assigned makes no difference

to me. I was paying £130 for the RAC cover previously also. The renewal would come in at £210

and i would phone and complain and drop back to £130.

Last year they would not budge though.

Not in the caravan club and it didnt ask for any membership details either. I am actually with the

Camping and Caravan Club which is what you need for the RAC, but heard the RAC will cover people

who are not in it also.

EDIT: I think being in the clubs just removes some restrictions like caravan length, no restriction if with the clubs. My vans under than size and maybe swapping to an even smaller one. Sisters not using her Sprite anymore so may have that, lighter at just 1000kg.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Not had to call them out, Only swapped last year and not used the van since.

Yes GF have contractors, but its still the same cover. The same as you get some good

RAC guys and some useless ones. And yep your right about the RAC using contractors

also. Just remembered back in the 90's i broke down on the way to Skegness (oil pump failure)

they arranged a local garage to take me there and bring my car back home.

When its a van with Green Flag on the side or a local company they assigned makes no difference

to me. I was paying £130 for the RAC cover previously also. The renewal would come in at £210

and i would phone and complain and drop back to £130.

Last year they would not budge though.

Not in the caravan club and it didnt ask for any membership details either. I am actually with the

Camping and Caravan Club which is what you need for the RAC, but heard the RAC will cover people

who are not in it also.

EDIT: I think being in the clubs just removes some restrictions like caravan length, no restriction if with the clubs. My vans under than size and maybe swapping to an even smaller one. Sisters not using her Sprite anymore so may have that, lighter at just 1000kg.
Thanks for that.

I am in the C&CC club too but don't actualy have arrival but the RAC have always took the Caravan where we are going, but it didn't cover the Caravan being faulty.,

Will ring them nearer the time (June) and see but it may be time to switch i think, after 41 years continuous i think they should give me honorary membership :~)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts