Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Megger
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ho one and all,

How flexible should a breaker bar be?

I bought one some time ago, around 60 cms long, but it is quite flexible. Have hardly used it but when applying any pressure, it flexes sufficiently that I feel it will bend rather than apply torque.

Should they be rigid or flexible?

·
Super Moderator
30,044 Posts
Had a rigid one approx 22mm diameter and the square peg that goes into the

socket snapped off.

Got my dads old one which is only about 10mm in diameter for the main shaft

with a thicker handle. Dont think thats straight anymore?

If its a decent brand they should give a torque figure thats safe.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,168 Posts
What ho one and all,

How flexible should a breaker bar be?

I bought one some time ago, around 60 cms long, but it is quite flexible. Have hardly used it but when applying any pressure, it flexes sufficiently that I feel it will bend rather than apply torque.

Should they be rigid or flexible?
What brand is it?

·
Mosquito
Mondeo MK 3 2.2 TDCI Ghia X
387 Posts
Been busy doing loads of stuff which hasn't involved taking wheels off and this post
reminded me of my broken bar.

Have now ordered a Sealey AK 730 1/2 drive, 600mm long.

·
Megger
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
It is marked Premier AK750 and looks exactly like the picture of the Sealy. Presumably made by one of China's finest tool manufacturing facilities under licence from the well known Russian arms manufacturer.

To date, I have only 'tried' to undo some of the tighter nuts / bolts, but have not applied sufficient force to actually move them. Not made easy by those items being under the car and trying to apply X amount of pressure laying on ones back is not easy.

The only result I have achieved is that the bar is more flexible that I would have thought. Next time, I will slide a length of ali scaffold tube over it which should prevent (reduce) flexing.

·
Super Moderator
30,044 Posts
I had an old torque wrench that had lost some teeth on its ratchet, welded

all the way around the outside on both sides and that lasted many years.

My nephew broke it trying to undo a driveshaft nut, normally I would put pressure

on it and then whack it with a hammer to help shock the nut free which usually

worked. He just stood on it and jumped up and down and the wrench broke

instead, snapped the lug clean off.

The welds held strong though.

·
Mosquito
Mondeo MK 3 2.2 TDCI Ghia X
387 Posts
My old one eventually broke on my mates car, the wheel nut was excessively tight and well over torqued.

The interesting thing about the bar was that it was the cheapest I could find at the time.It may have been foreign from, perhaps China or some other Asian country, but it served me well over the years.

I last used it on my car, taking off the tow bar and brackets !

·
Megger
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't believe that my simple question regarding how flexible should breaker bar be, has generated so much discussion.

Jack, when your broke, was it a rigid bar and the metal 'snapped' due to excessive pressure, or did it bend? Mine is not a flexible as a fishing rod, but the more torque applied, the bar flexes and it does not feel as if one is applying the sort of massive torque need to break a nut / bolt thread.

My torque wrench feels as if it would do a better job, but it does not seem right to use it for that purpose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts