Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a Ford Mondeo MK4 2.0 TDCI 120kW with a very unusual problem and I was very desperate, because even in my service they weren't sure what's wrong.
Gradually, the fuel injector clamps are breaking. It started a year ago. First I broke one. I said it was probably pulled too tight when the copper washers were changed. In 1-2 months 2 more broke. Two months ago I had all 4 already changed (original and brand new clamps were used). Yesterday after the start another one broke, which had a maximum of 600 km or less.
I was present in the garage the last 2 times to make sure they're doing everything professionally. The holders are original and were screwed by force and angle given by the program.

The almost new broken clamp looked like this:
IMG-1503_small.jpg

The first broken clamp broke like this:
IMG-8546_small.jpg

Do you have any idea what might be the problem? The owner of the garage had not seen anything similar ever...

I'm quite desperate here and would be thankful for any advise!

Thank you

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,548 Posts
What torque are they tightening them to?

Not using the same torque as the 1.8 engines use are they?

Are the clamps genuine Ford items?

I have a feeling they are tightening to the same as the 1.8 injectors which

is too much for the 2L.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clamps are genuine Ford.

They assured me that the diagnostic program is starting after they enter the VIN, hence it's not possible that it gave them the wrong values like torque and angle. Do you know the torque and the angle for both the 1.8 and 2L so I can confront them with the values?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,548 Posts
1.8 is 5Nm and then 90 degrees.

2.0 is 5Nm then just 45 degrees.

Recommended that the bolts are not reused also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! The bolts were new as well. But do you think that the difference in the angle is enough to brake such a firm and solid material? And not just one but all the 4 in a short time? Can't be something else? Do you think it makes sense to check the fuel injectors as well? Or something else?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
29,548 Posts
Unless the timing is out and its hitting the injectors, not looked at the actual

placement and clearances on these engines.

Or its building up too much pressure which seems unlikely.

An extra 45 degrees is quite a bit of extra torque.

Engine running properly? Not dumping way too much fuel into the cylinders?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Do they seat the clamps properly in the grooves , are the injectors mounted as they should ? thay can be rotated 180 degrees and will give this problem if they are (have broken 1 myself this way)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hm, I didn't notice anything unusual. The injectors are facing the right position as far as I can tell.

I just wanted to make sure that there can't be anything else involved then just the clamps being installed incorrectly.

For me it makes no sense that all 4 clamps broke in a really-really short time. And in the repair shop they paid big attention as they new that all of the clamps have been changed recently

·
Megger
113 Posts
Apologies for hijacking the thread but does anyone know the correct torque+angle for the 2.2 TDCI clamps (08 175ps) ? I'm thinking I should be doing the seals on mine soon and don't want to have this same issue..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

Have you fixed the problem ?

If you did please tell me how ,because i am having he same problem right now and i do not know what to do more.

I have changed like 4 clamps

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi! Sorry for the late response but I wasn't checking this thread anymore. The mechanics in the Ford dealer shop fixed it eventually. The issue was that the wholes where the injector sits were not smooth or clear hence the injector wasn't able to properly sit. They needed to clean it (mill it) properly. They have measured them and found out that there is pressure leaving the ring from under the injector.

A.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! Sorry for the late response but I wasn't checking this thread anymore. The mechanics in the Ford dealer shop fixed it eventually. The issue was that the wholes where the injector sits were not smooth or clear hence the injector wasn't able to properly sit. They needed to clean it (mill it) properly. They have measured them and found out that there is pressure leaving the ring from under the injector.

A.
Hi Im having the same problem, how much did it cost to fix please?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts