Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm looking for some advice, I have a Ford Mondeo Titanum x 2008 with the built in sat nav, problem is since I've had the car in January 2015 the system seems to go off then come back on, it only does this for like a few seconds and it doesn't matter if I have it on cd, radio or the navigation, but it is annoying as I can't use the sat nav as it resets location and then when I switch back on it thinks I'm in Germany until it finds a satellite lol, if I have radio or cd on and it randomly completely goes off for few seconds it will then come back on but will think that it is on standby as I just get the screen with the date and time etc, another weird thing is that I set on the system to show 12 hr clock and this randomly changes to 24-12 hr and so forth, tbh it's got to the stage now where I'm thinking of putting a kenwood system in with maybe the sat nav option and as I'm desperate to have dab and a usb connection, I already have the surround and separate climate system controls so I can fit a double din, does anyone know what could be causing this as it's even been to ford for almost 2 weeks, ( also why they checked cruise control problems) but they could find nothing wrong with the system, sometimes it works perfectly and mostly it fails 3-4 times on a journey, is it the nav system or another electrical problem, any help would be very appreciated, thanks for everyone's time.

Attachments

·
Big Megger
3,088 Posts
1st off does the fault happen when the car is stationary? If it only happens on the move it sounds like a loose connection in the power supply - corrosion in a plug - broken wire in the loom , or a dodgy fuse or earth connection. Changing the system may cure the fault by moving the wiring about, but it would be an expensive disappointment to find the fault appearing on the new set up. Worth having a meter handy to monitor the power supply from the fuses ( getting a manual would help or the assistance of an auto sparky), sounds like it could be expensive.

Just a passing thought it may be worth doing the SP5 software update details are in the forum. Look in this topic on page 2 are the file links

New SP 5.3 for NX navi

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and thanks for your reply, I think it did do it once when I was stationary, ford did take the dab system out as I could receive no stations at all including fm but it was playing up before then so not sure if they had to remove the whole navigation system or not, it's just so strange why it does it, thanks for your help

·
Registered
303 Posts
I remember reading on here the early units suffered a memory issue where the memory blocks were blasted constantly with data, this caused in turn failures of the memory modules if left too long, service pack 5.3 might work if you've caught the issue early enough if not the unit would be needing repair.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankyou so much everyone for your help and replies, does anyone know where I can get a copy of this software to burn in a disc, thankyou
Thankyou so much everyone for your help and replies, does anyone know where I can get a copy of this software to burn in a disc, thankyou

·
Big Megger
3,088 Posts
It's on the forum topic I put in my post. I'll have to get my disc and see what files you need to burn. Give me a day or so and I'll message you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I managed to download each service pack on here, but when burnt to a cd r or DVD and placed in the sat nav it does nothing for some reason, the disc spins but it won't load, I'm so confused

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just tried burning straight to DVD but wouldn't work at all, I checked in the error screen and there was a lot of errors in there also saying unreadable disc, maybe the system is knackered

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are you putting the upgrade disc in the correct slot? It's not the main CD slot but hidden behind a panel at the bottom; you have to remove volume knob and the panel hooks out.
Apologies of you're already doing this! To eject satnav disc press NAV and MENU buttons to get the service menu up, you will need radio code to eject the satnav disc.
It would be worth checking your existing software version while you're in there, SP5.3 is 1118_100429

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello there, yeah I'm putting it in the slot behind the panel, panel is a pain to get back in tho with that silly spring lol, not sure why it's not reading the disc

1 - 20 of 42 Posts