Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Big Megger
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is a mk2 1999 in silver i have just got myself a pair of body coloured door handles but i still have that bump strip in black plastic across the middle of the doors- just wondering has anyone took theirs off and left it off?

Any pics?

Obviously it means some hard work a bit of t cut and wax but do you think it would look odd?

Thanks!

·
MEG Captain
4,788 Posts
plenty of ppl have removed them , a hairdrier and some strong fishing line is a good way to go at them , you may need more than t cut to sort it out though depending on how bad the paint has faded :whistling:

·
Glen
4,064 Posts
just taken mine off on MK3... can't get the gooey rubber adhesive off!!! any ideas?

tried so far...

1, scrape with fingernails - no joy lol
2, soap and water, sponge etc... worked on corsa!
3, steam cleaner (to soften it) - no joy
4, turps substitute
5, jet wash - better results but put £5.00 in and still not even half done!
6, foreigners at the local hand car wash
7, automatic car wash
8, Auto glym tar remover

stumped :sad:

so far this has cost me nearly £20!!!!

·
Megger
51 Posts
I used to valet for Land Rover in my day and so the best way in my experience is to heat up the trim to be removed with a hair dryer, it warms the goo and it should come off. This also works especially well with badges.

Next using a window scraper (not the blue stanley ones but one of the silver type with a slide out blade which you can get from most painting and decorating stores) carefully scrape what you can off with the blade.

Next using something like Turtle Wax Safe Cut (which i find is great) take the remaining goo off with little circles and the blade (once the safe cut has dissolved / loosened the goo).

With this method i've successfully removed all rear badges of my car, side trim off a Fiesta MK3, badges off my wifes Clio and other trim and badges from friends cars.

I hope this helps ... good luck!

·
Glen
4,064 Posts
:L

will let you know when i get time to have another go!

·
Ugly Little Mo Fo
3,236 Posts
take em off colourcode em and stick em back on :thumbup:

·
Glen
4,064 Posts
yeah, I considered that except the thing is... i broke one :whistling:

·
MEG Corporal
489 Posts
rainbowcar said:
yeah, I considered that except the thing is... i broke one :whistling:
Glen if you decide to put them back on let me know as I've a spare set here for a small fee :whistling:

Have you got all the glue off yet,I have some great stuff :L .

Are you ever down the worksop/mansfield area,if you are and you need any thing give me a shout on here .

;) Darren

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,213 Posts
Wi11 said:
Not sure if i should take them off or keep them for my bodyworks sake!

I know if i take them off someone will dent my doors!
I removed mine on my black mk2 and they would of never of stopped a shopping trolley dinging my O/S/R passenger door. However my new mk2 was an aspen so never had then and it looks sexy so probs will leave it as it is.

jcth1

·
Megger
103 Posts
heheh took me 2 weeks to do it myself. Until i realise that the hairdryer was already invented. So looking at your list, u didnt mention hairdryer..that thing really helps.

I had a thread about removing those glue. http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/724881/post/1030254/hl//#1030254

When i say hairdryer..i mean keep that thing pointed at the point where the strip is removed. That Goo-gone i'm holding was very helpful..and it's even more helpful if u mix 90% alcohol in it (no reason why it could be 90%..or 100%...just so happen that my friend who works in a lab have 90% lying around) Things can bet pretty hot ..but it's worth it..if it's cools down a bit it'll harden.

·
Glen
4,064 Posts
car is in for service today, but will be hairdryer'ing' it later... Darren, will give you a shout if I can't get it with the dryer!!!

cheers very much guys, i hate looking at it like this :sad:

next is colour coding the door handles, no forseeable problems that as i have had handle trouble before!!!!

·
Glen
4,064 Posts
Hi guys finally got it off.

method used:

Thinners in a spray bottle...

scape off the goo with a stanley blade (with blunted ends). worked well!!!

just to try to T-Cut the fading to get it at least near a match! lol

cheers for all the help guys

·
Glen
4,064 Posts
or you could spray them in the kitchen while the missus is out and she comes home to car bits and paint smell and hits the roof like I did when doing my black eyes! lol

·
Glen
4,064 Posts
LOL my cat and dog were safely locked out, but the dog got a yellow stripe when we decorated lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.