Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about making you guys listen to my moaning, but it's been a bad week...

On monday, when i was getting my car parked someone sent me a text.. and i bumped into someone's rear bumper when turning.. having a huge dent on the rear door (Near Side)... :doh:

Tuesday... drove 3 miles with the handbrake on... :(

Friday... Bumped into a peugeot's rear while turning in to park.. scratched the peugeot's bumper... and cracked mine! :tonofbricks:

Then reversed into someone in the petrol station later on... :doh:

Then later on almost had a big crash with someone coz i couldn't see the give way marking... :headshake:

It's all my fault... maybe bad luck... and i am planning to go on those Pass Plus course.. maybe that will help... starting to have a very impression to be one of the worst drivers in this country...

Right enough for moaning...

The rear bumper of the mondeo has got foam filled.. why not the front? It cracks so easily! Any good measure to repair and kind of reinforce the whole thing?

(luckily got a black car... so gaffa tape at the moment...)

And lastly guys... if you see a Panther Black MKII Mondeo... in Bristol... stay away coz it could be me... :kaffeetrinker_2:

Phil

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
Oh dear, ever thought about getting a push bike?

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a push bike.... and in May i was hit by a car.... :( although i still do short trips with it...

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bumper car driver.. maybe but i don't know.. :innocent:

didn't get a chance to take a picture really... did a quick patch up with gaffa tape when i got home so that's why...

hopefully everything will get better this week... :(

·
2 Posts
I've cracked my front bumper too, taken a whole chunk out of the plastic :sad: . It's a silver mk3 so not sure gaffa tape will help my cause..

was thinking of attempting a repair, though have never tried anything like it before and it doesn't look that simple... still, could be cheaper than the 150quid for a new one!

Ramin

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how's the damage, a big hole with a piece fallen out or are there cracks but the pieces still hold together?

If it's still in one piece then take the bumper off and patch it up from inside. I have used filler to patch up while using gaffa tape to keep the shape.

Well your car is silver and there should be some silver gaffa tape, only the colour maybe slightly off though... for mine (my own bumper, not someone else's) i still have the gaffa tape on the outside, as there is more work to make sure it's smooth then spray painting, and the gaffa tape colour matches quite well anyway. (of course there is a chance that it will be hit again so why bother? :tongue: )

·
Big Megger
348 Posts
Almost every Mk2 I see has gaffer tape on the front bumper - they made them so fragile it is laughable. I touched someones rear bumper pulling into a space - no damage at all to their car but my poor bumper looked like someone had taken a hammer to it...

Some s*d rammed into the back of me at an airport carpark - believe me the back bumper goes just as easily as the front!

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hence when i am getting my bumper changed (front) i am going to look into way to reinforce it from the inside. Maybe fibreglass or something just to give it a bit of extra strength!

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
depending on what material the bumpers should be able to be repaired using plastic welding , it works in the same sort of way metal welding does but you use hot air to melt a filler rod into the crack :L

·
2 Posts
An entire piece of the bumper has fallen out, leaving me with a hole about 3cm wide. It's getting bigger too, more bits keep falling off everyday! I also have cracks in the plastic coming out from the hole...

Looks pretty rough to be honest, I will try to upload a photo when I get back.

Is the white plastic under the silver stuff still the bumper? Is it just a thick layer of paint that has come off?

Also, does anyone know what plastic the bumpers are made of?

Reinforcing these bumpers sounds like a good idea!

Ramin

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In your case it's better to use some tape to keep the bumper to one piece asap, and to keep all the fallen out bits if you are thinking of repairing.

3cm hole.. that's not too big to be honest (the one on my rear bumper before it got totally destroyed in the crash was around 20cm). Probably the best thing to do is to tape it up first and patch it up from inside so structurally it's secure, before doing anything on the exterior.

Reinforcing, well i am kind of thinking about that, but will certainly need to look further in as it's usually not as straight foward as it sounds!

·
Megger
72 Posts
I have been thinking about a DIY job on my front bumper. I bought the car with a hole punched right alongside the tow bar plug.

Most of the damaged bits are still hanging on, and I have considered using a clear tape to hold them back in place (although bending them back may mean they snap off) and then using the touch-in paint to make it as respectable as possible.

Of course, the paint might make the tape wrinkle?

What do you reckon?

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what colour is your car?

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aah.....

there is white duct/gaffa tape available... so you could spray over....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.