Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pedro 'Si Si I drive ze Coach'
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh dear. I'm getting worried about a noise the cam belt on my mk1 is making........

It's ONLY on warm up and it's a kind of plastiky tapping noise. I've taken the top cam belt cover off and the noise stops so I reckon the belt is flapping slightly and touching the top cover.

The cars paperwork reckons that the belt was changed less than 50k miles ago.

What do you guys think???

·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mondeoman said:
Maybe the cover was re-fitted wrongly after the belt change and has warped a bit or something allowing it to touch the belt?
Yeah maybe.......funny it only does it on warm up. It's almost as if the tensioner is taking it's time to take up the slack in the belt :confused: :(

·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slide said:
Had the same symptons a while back, turned out the tensioner was breaking up. Get it changed.
Oh bugger [email protected] I've just spent £50 on some new speakers :(

·
Still waiting to Wii
2,710 Posts
PeterHart020 said:
The cars paperwork reckons that the belt was changed less than 50k miles ago.

What do you guys think???
you're due anyway, and mine started slapping after 8,000 miles, so when you do it, you may have to retension it again.

·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
James_McHattie said:
When cold the sprocketts are contracted - the belt slaps. When hot the sporcketts have expanded - belt ok.

Tighten it a mil or so.

http://www.jimmycricket.com/pages/cambelt.htm
When you say tighten it a mil or so do you mean the tensioner?? can you do this manually?? I thought it was all done by springs and automatic........or am I being dim :innocent:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.