Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Little Megger
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
im thinking of fitting one of the above more details found here,

Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience of this item, with Wiring it in ? would it be a simple plug and play say into the OBD2 socket or would it require hard wiring in.
Thanks in advance

·
I Love Diesel
2,607 Posts
I've been thinking about similar for SWMBO's Merc. The Stop/Start drives us both crazy - it cuts in the instant you stop, which means nudging the car along in queuing traffic, joining roundabouts, manoeuvring etc.

I did find an OBD2 port plug-in device for Mercs, but this looks like a hard-wired solution. With the Merc, pressing the Eco button to disable the Stop/Start has become part of the procedure for starting the car.

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Picture is a 3D render not a photo of a built device.

Looks like it connects to the switch rather than the OBD port. Possibly sends a small signal at engine start to say you
pressed the button disabling the stop start. £79 stupid price for something than be made for under £1.

Other ways to do it also, battery voltage is an easy one. Stop start will not work if the battery is low. Engine
temperature is another.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,708 Posts
I don't see stop/start as a problem whatsoever - all the cars I have had that have it I just switch it off every time I start the car, no problem, simples.
Dieseldel, have you read this link

Reactions: Grumpyaxeswinger

·
I Love Diesel
2,607 Posts
Just my opinion, but if manufacturers are going to force this onto car owners, they could at least give you the option to remember the last setting used and not revert to "On" every time you start the car. If it's so critical to their fuel consumption and emissions figures, then why even give you the option to switch it off?

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
They cannot pretend the cars are more efficient if they allow the stop start to be disabled all the time though.
Look it uses no fuel when you stop at the traffic lights this cars super green and trees and flowers bloom
whilst its running.

Forgetting the fact that in the real world it can be dangerous and probably uses more fuel than the previous model.
Daughters KA cut out just as I was about to exit a sideroad onto a faster/busier road.

Had 2L and 2.2L MK3's and got 57 - 60mpg on longer journeys, my MK4.5 cannot do that. 150mile run back from the
coast yesterday and all it managed was 47mpg. Need to do the LED mod or monitor the regens I think see how
often its doing it.

·
I Love Diesel
2,607 Posts
They cannot pretend the cars are more efficient if they allow the stop start to be disabled all the time though.
Look it uses no fuel when you stop at the traffic lights this cars super green and trees and flowers bloom
whilst its running.

Forgetting the fact that in the real world it can be dangerous and probably uses more fuel than the previous model.
Daughters KA cut out just as I was about to exit a sideroad onto a faster/busier road.

Had 2L and 2.2L MK3's and got 57 - 60mpg on longer journeys, my MK4.5 cannot do that. 150mile run back from the
coast yesterday and all it managed was 47mpg. Need to do the LED mod or monitor the regens I think see how
often its doing it.
Too fkn true!

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,708 Posts
I believe the basic reason for stop/start is to reduce the emissions that damage our climate and the health of people - diesel, as we now know, being the most dangerous to our health.
What really pees me off is on a hot summers day a parent sits outside a school waiting for their child keeping the engine running for 20 odd minutes so the air con keeps them cool while all the shite coming out of their exhaust unecisarally contaminates the atmosphere and damages our health, even worse if it's a diesel engine

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
755 Posts
whilst its running.

often its doing it.
my 2.0 facelift mk4 used to do a regen every 400 miles (give or take) regardless how i drove it. it would indicate 64mpg on a run, 5 up with holiday luggage (from where i live down to skegness for example) but calculated was nearer 54, however, the mk5 i have now, if it indicates 54 on a run on the computer, its pretty much doing that calculated (depending on how hard i cram it in after it clicks off a time or 2. and yes i know i shouldnt but often just to round it up to the next £5 or so)
as for efficiency, despite my mk4.5 reading a bit optimistic, going on the dash readings alone, my mk5 is about 2mpg better (with stop/start) than the 4.5 was around the town. the mk4.5 was a 140bhp, the mk5 is 180bhp, both manual.

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
My issue maybe the MK4.5 140bhp is so slow and the lead brick attached to my shoe to make it go faster
is not that good for the economy? :)

2004 2L MK3 Diesel, I kept a log at every fillup and found it fairly accurate as long as the trip/mileage etc. got
reset at every fillup. Shocked when it did 39mpg towing a caravan, calculator showed it spot on also.

Not done that with the MK4.5 though, so it could be giving false info. I know I cry into the tank when
filling it. :) Over 1/4 of a tank and it still took £88.

Whilst moaning about the fuel, anyone else think the pumps have got slower? Do they want you to stand there
for ages whilst it drips the fuel in? Making you think your getting more than you really are?

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
755 Posts
My issue maybe the MK4.5 140bhp is so slow and the lead brick attached to my shoe to make it go faster
is not that good for the economy? :)

2004 2L MK3 Diesel, I kept a log at every fillup and found it fairly accurate as long as the trip/mileage etc. got
reset at every fillup. Shocked when it did 39mpg towing a caravan, calculator showed it spot on also.

Not done that with the MK4.5 though, so it could be giving false info. I know I cry into the tank when
filling it. :) Over 1/4 of a tank and it still took £88.

Whilst moaning about the fuel, anyone else think the pumps have got slower? Do they want you to stand there
for ages whilst it drips the fuel in? Making you think your getting more than you really are?
tank on the mk4 is huge. i now have a mk5 which holds about £20 at current prices LESS than the mk4 did. low fuel light on (when i bought it) and it took a little over £100 to fill it right up. the mk4 would probably have been £120+ (in fact it cost me £90 to fill at 2015 prices which were about £1.40 per litre from memory, which was deemed insane and fuel protests were going on then if memory serves me)

also, while it wont set the world on fire, i cant say my mk4.5 was ever really SLOW. there wasnt that much left me from the lights and it would indicate (on the right section of privvate road) pretty much double the legal UK Motorway speed limit.

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
I came from a MK3 2.2 which had been tweaked somewhat to a MK4 140bhp. Even with a Bluefin its
a dissapointment. But I generally like the look of the car. I should wash it more often though. :)

Cannot make my mind up if I really gel with the car or not? Like the looks and the NAV unit but the
DPF and lower power with worse consumption is a niggle. Its good for the planet though because
the tax is only £30. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts