Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and a merry xmas to you all.

My '98 2.5 v6 petrol mondeo has decided to play up now that the winters here.

I noticed about 3 weeks ago that the abs and air bag warning lights came on and the rev counter dropped to 0 but the engine kept running. This lasted for about 30 seconds and then everything was OK.

However this morning the car started fine but then cut out after about 2 mins and now it won't start again. I've put the battery on chanrge and will try to start it again tomorrow.

Does this sound like an alternator problem or maybe a bad earth? It's weird how the battery can start the car fine so I don't think this is a battery issue although I don't want to rule this out just now. The wipers worked really slowly when the warning lights came on and I don't think the alternator warning light came on at his time.

Any tips for testing the alternator/earthing etc?

Thanks.

·
It was 49.95
10,123 Posts
alternator can only be tested with the engine running but bnasically involves a volt meter, with a negative on the battery neg, and a positive on the alternator live. shud see around 24 volts

the lights though sound like a clock failure

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.