Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i have a 2004 mk3 2.0 tdci with a starting issue. It did start but would cut out so decided to change the filter with the new one i filled it with diesel installed it and car wouldn’t start, i connected a pump to the out feed of filter and got fuel coming out so connected it to the feed from the tank and i dont get any fuel from the tank, tank has just under half a tank and been at it for 10 mins pumping it and nothing.

any suggestions

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
Do you know there is half a tank or the gauge shows half a tank? Check to make there really is fuel in there.

What are you using to pump the fuel? Is a suction being created? If not a poor seal and your just sucking air
ir there is a blockage in the tank, or no fuel in the tank.

Any pictures?

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
If you put your finger on the end of the inlet (left side in the image) does the bulb hold a vacuum and stay in a squished state?

Only takes a tiny bit of air to enter and it wont have enough vacuum to pull the fuel through.

·
Little Megger
4,709 Posts
Hi, if your filter is full of diesel at the outlet spout, and the car still won't start, then that's not your problem. That primer bulb thing won't have sufficient draw to pull the fuel from the tank.. Also, some cheaper versions of that tool once diesel has passed thro' them seem to fail. - the one way valve just becomes open. . I've had Laser and Machine Mart ones do that. Get a can of diesel and some clear tubing. Rest the can on the top of the engine and connect the tubing to the 'IN' spout of the filter and the other end in the can of diesel. Use a turkey baster (or tool of your choice) to squirt some of the diesel into the pipe. Then see if it starts. Oh, and to make your battery last longer while cranking, pull out the LARGE yellow 60amp fuse, F8, from the fusebox next to the battery. This'll stop the glowplugs draining the battery every time you crank or turn on the ignition (they stay ON for 30 seconds every time you turn the key-inspite of the glowplug dash light going out after only a few seconds.)

Reactions: stonekeeper

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
Helped a member with a non start issue after he flushed his tank, feeding the filter directly from a pop bottle suspended
above the filter helped prime it. Oddly his fault was the EGR being stuck open which prevented the car starting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tried easy start and car starts but cuts out ill try the jerry can into the filter if that works which i think it will i still have the issue of getting the fuel from the tank into the filter.? Any suggestions?

i read somewhere that a guy had a similar problem and he dropped the fuel tank washed it out and connected a pump to push the fuel through the pipes im hoping i dont need to do that.

was thinking of trying this
Font Cylinder Recipe Audio equipment Electronic device

·
Little Megger
4,709 Posts
Your pump should pull the fuel thro' once the engine is running. It should start on the fuel already in the filter. Your priming bulb thing isn't upto the job of pulling the fuel thro from the tank. That's NOT your problem, concentrate on getting the engine running on the fuel in the filter and Jerry can 1st

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,402 Posts
Once it's running properly on the fuel in the Jerry can you can then just attach your fuel pipe from the tank and it should be good to go.

·
Little Megger
4,709 Posts
No. You obviously have a problem with not starting that you should sort out 1st. Use the Jerry can and what diesel is in the filter to sort out the non starting. Actually, if the engine is running, my experience is the engine will run for a good 5 minutes on the contents of the filter before it empties it. So if you've filled your filter and the engine won't start, THAT is the problem you've got to overcome. You using your hand pump to draw fuel from the tank (or not) is just a distraction from the real problem.

Reactions: stonekeeper

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So created a makeshift fuel tank connected it to the filter and got the car running, filled the filter back up with fuel and it started straight away i blanked off the egr though which was like that when i got it.

i still have a rough idle though have got a video but not sure if i can post a video here?

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
You can post the video on youtube and put a link here. Make sure its not set to private.

Leakoff test on the injectors whilst its running.

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
Yeah thats not running on all cylinders by the sound of it. With the engine running unplug one injector at a time
and see if the engine stalls or whether it gets worse or makes no difference to how it runs.

If it stalls on all of them its firing on all cylinders but poorly. Leakoff test. Where is all the smoke coming from?

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
Leakoff test, see if they are leaking back too much. If it starts you need some bottles to catch the fuel
if its not starting you measure the amount of fuel that travels up the tube.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts