Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont you hate it when you have to take £170 out of your pocket in one go for car tax? i do!! so i dont do it!!

not everyone knows this thought i would mention it, at the post office you can get post office stamps £5 each which what i do is get one a week and well before the tax id due ive got enough hence car tax has never posed a problem for me.

i do tell people this but hardly anyone listens lol its worth planning ahead though especially if £170 or whatever you pay has to come out of your pocket in one go when you cant afford it its a lot of money!!

i know not everyone goes to the post office but you may pass one atleast once a week and thats all it takes pop in and pick one up a week and you will have enough for your next car tax well before its due.

also you can use these to pay many other bills at the post office so if it turns out you wont have a car for a while they can still be put to good use whereas a few yrs back you bought car tax stamps which could only be used for car tax so its a good thing they changed the system.

there is no expiry date on them either!!

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
i have started saving them as i did not plan ahead very well when i bought my mk3, i had it taxed for me for 6 months by the dealer as i could not afford the full years tax at the same time as the new car + insurance deposit :BEEP: .

when i picked up the car the nice new tax disc ran out new years eve :( , So i had to stump up for my car tax as well as all the xmas pressies too. :BEEP:

since the 2nd week in january though i have been gettin the saving stamps once a week ( still gotta get this weeks though, they are still open so i will nip up now :D )

Great thing is i pay £5 for somat like 33 weeks and my tax is paid for but if i just keep buying em then by the end of the year i am halfway through the next years tax too. :woot: :woot:

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
i managed to save 3 of them once , and then couldnt find them when the tax was due , and of course i found them after i forked out for the tax , i think i will start getting one a week again , saves a big lump of wedge going out in one go :L

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
certainly does save a wedge of cash for me when the tax is due. :woot:

just been and got no.10, the total is building nicely.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
atleast some of us are semi sensible lol :L

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
forced sensiblility due to lack of forward planning when i first got the car. :headshake:

That and being too much of a cheapskate to get a 6 month tax again.

But its a great tip :L

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
Good idea...

My tax also ran out on 31st December, so with the insurance being due on 20th January or thereabouts, I did it for six months this time. Come June, I'll tax it for a year, which will spread the various outlays out a bit, and Bob will be some kind of distant relative twice removed. :D

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah its noce to spread insurance tax and mot out somewhat.

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
i normally get 2 lots of insurance, tax, mot, servicing etc all due round about the same time!

tried bouncing a cheque for the road tax from an unused bank account, but they soon catch up with you and threaten all sorts of action if you dont pay up. so that methods a non starter lol.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
send your misses down the post office :p

·
Banned
716 Posts
I'd be too embareesed to buy car tax saver stamps. Would be worried someone who knows me would see and think that I had called into the post office on my way down to the local soup kitchen............

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
i have though about doing this but when i have mentioned it to paul he says na its alright but maybe i could start with out hom knowing

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
LOL closet car tax stamp buying, on the sly!

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
seems like a good idea to me , now if you had the option to pay for your car tax monthly would you use it , i know i would :L , but i bet you say you wouldnt :yawn: :D :D

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
If you buy the stamps, do they have a serial number on them so that you can use them when you tax on-line?

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well post office stamps is only real way of doing monthy at the moment so thats all you can do right now.

HJS answer is no and would you really want to put in 34 serial numbers for £170 worth of stamps? i dont think so!!! they would probably be atleast 6 numbers each if they had them and then they would be open to scams as when you pay something in the post office they just count them and stamp over them.

anyway theyre not car tax stamps they stopped them which as i said above is kinda a good thing because if you didnt have a car for a while for some reason you could use them to pay other bills such as phonebill electric bill gas bill etc etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts