Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Back in a Mondeo
5,462 Posts
Hi all.

My tax has run out today, and I've recently renewed my insurance but havn't recieved the documents, so I can't tax my car. What should I do? I need my car for work and I cannot pull a sickie because I'm on a probationary period because I'm new.

Basicly I've got to drive it with no tax untill my insurance documents arrive in 3-5 working days. Am I likely to get stopped and fined or is there a lenient period. I've heard somewhere that you're allowed up to 7 days to get a new tax disc. My old insurance certificate expires today (30th, same day as my tax) but I don't get paid untill tomorrow so theres no way around it.

I've looked on the DVLA site and it just says it's an offence to drive without it it, basicly (which I know), and offered no advice whatsoever.

Help anyone!

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
you could always ring your insurance & ask for the insurance cert reference number & tax ur mota online using that number ( as long as ur MOT is also a computerised one too ), then when the system updates your car will show as being taxed, tested & insured even though the relevatnt documents for 2 of them are in the post ( just print a copy of any confirmation from the tax site just incase you get pulled for not displaying your tax disc )

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
When i applied online for my tax they didnt ask for insurance details as they can access it by knowing your name and car etc so you should have no probs taxing online :)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Pay online. The insurance will be in the digital database, along with the MOT. You can pay online and use the reciept as proof of purchase in the unlikely event that you get pulled.

Delivery time is very very quick too.

·
Back in a Mondeo
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have done this already but I'm not at the address which is on my driving licence. I know it needs changing but I havn't got round to doing it yet. Although I do have access to my old address (it's being rented out), my insurance documents got sent there and they seem to of gone missing (through the estate agent etc), and I wouldn't fancy misplacing a tax disc costing 97 quid! It would seem I'm stuck but cheers for the help peeps :L

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Is the V5 registered to the same address as your insurance/licence? It should go to the same address you recieved your reminder at. So if you got the reminder at your current address .... your good to go.

·
Back in a Mondeo
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've not recieved a reminder, despite me getting all the post from my previous address? 70 quid for 6 months????? Your avin a larf aint ya? Mines 96 quid for 6 and 170 for the year. A bloke at work taxed his 125cc motorbike, guess how much for the year?

15 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Alun said:
70 quid for 6 months????? Your avin a larf aint ya? Mines 96 quid for 6 and 170 for the year.
Yep, it was either £73 or £75 cant remember which, and around about £135 for 12 months. I was very suprised myself actually. I think they work it out according to the emissions figures rather than engine size now im not sure. You may find that yours is cheaper than you think when you come to pay for it? Anyone shed any light on this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.