Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just that (or I think that's what you call it)...

I just got two new wishbone's, and front spring's fitted this afternoon, but even when taking there to get it done, I noticed the car in general was "squirming"...a bit like driving a jelly...especially round corner's.

The back end felt as if it was sliding out/away...I'm pretty sure the back's shock's are gubbed (and possibly the spring's too) but they both passsed the mot.

What the hell's wrong!?

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Flat tyres would cause it, have you checked your pressures recently? I cant see how dodgy suspension would cause the back end to steer and cause the car to squirm in this way, unless it was hanging off or not tightened up properly somewhere. If this were the case you would also be getting lots of knocking and banging noises too!

Oh and you've posted this in the wrong bit mate!

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
first thing that springs to mind mate is the four wheel alignment......front and rears may be out of sync a bit, especially since you have had work done on the front suspension, and you should always have the tracking done at least after suspension work. but I'd go for four wheel alignment matey to be sure. :L

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would say tyre pressure as well.

Had similar problem on my estate and found offside rear was losing ten pounds over a couple of days and then stabalising at 24 psi for some reason.
Has tyre reseated and pressure stayed at 34psi (I carry a lot!) also car drove a lot better.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I just had the four wheel alignment done on the civic as it was not 100% stable at certain times, and it has sorted it right out...both front struts had been replaced for the last mot and both tie rod ends, tracking was listed on the receipt but they obviosly didn't check all four wheels....honda did it with their nasa spec super machine thingy and it's soooo much better....try it, it might work out. :L

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
newannaive said:
first thing that springs to mind mate is the four wheel alignment......front and rears may be out of sync a bit, especially since you have had work done on the front suspension, and you should always have the tracking done at least after suspension work. but I'd go for four wheel alignment matey to be sure. :L
Sorry for posting in wrong place :whistling:

I do know that the back pass wheel sit's slightly "in" and "back"...(I'll try and describe it).....

Like if your kneeling down at the wheel (as if changing it), the rear & top of the wheel sit's (or look's it) about 1/2"-1" inward's.

or if you put your hand's on either side of it, your right hand will (I think) be slightly more inward than your left.

That's why I thought maybe one of the x member's underneath at that side were bent hence causing the "squirming".

·
Couch Potato
2,944 Posts
Did you put new tyres on when you had the wishbones done ?
If yes, then the tyres have not bedded in yet.
If no then the tyres will probably be more worn on the inside edges and so theres more pressure on the outside, making it feel a bit like driving on thinner tyres until the wear evens out.
Also if the front end is now tighter then it will feel like the rear end is swinging out (its called oversteer) until you get used to it. I'd check the tyre pressures and let everything settle down a bit before you start throwing money at other parts of the suspension, give it 400-500 miles or so and if you're still not happy then take it back to the garage and complain.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tyre's are fine are all (apart from 1) passed the mot, and all at the right pressure.

I noticed say anything about the wat I descibed the way the back pass side wheel's sitting, this might alot to with it too.

I nothing to do with what the mechanic did (Iv'e known him for year's, and a very straight talking no sh1t guy), plus he was replacing thing's at the front not the back..

It really is bloody scary what cornering in this thing...

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Strawbs said:
can you be sure someone hasn't banged the rear passenger wheel into a kerb?

get it 4 wheel aligned if it's scaring you.
That's exactly what's happened I think....as it's sitting squee gee.
it's either the x member bar/s, axle ect ect that's bent in way/form..

Wheelsinmotion......

It's nothing to do with the new w/bone's as it's just the same with the new one's. There's something at the back just not right!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It may be worth considering that the new wishbones will still affect the Alignment too. Of course, it would be correct to get the underlying problem fixed too, but it may be worth bearing in mind the Alignment could still be out after the initial problem has been fixed as a result of the new Wishbones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.