Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a supercharger that will fit to a 2.0 Cav? Or preferably a kit, but will not be a problem to piece it all together. Just need to know whether there is a charger out there that will physically fit, and match the manifold studs...

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
superchargers dont come with a manifold normally. you can put them direct onto an inlet manifold non-intercooled (like mine is) or mount it remote with an axle and pulley to the drivebelt, rig up an intercooler and pipe it to the throttle body.

i've seen a mini cooper S (m45 eaton) blower fitted to a vauxhall XE engine, it looked pretty easy (ish). i can give you a link for pics if you want.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you could mate, would be much appreciated! :L
I take it you need to invest in some aftermarket management to control everything properly?

·
MEG Corporal
1,033 Posts
most cav's looking for forced induction go along the turbo route due to the legendary C20LET as seen in the GSi Turbo's. Many places to turbo kits.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the easiest wy is to put in the C20LET. When fitting a turbo on the XE, you have to drill a additional hole for oiling. and the things you have to buy additionally are more expensive than youst swapping the engine.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, but everybody does the C20LET, plus its bloody expensive to buy, even second hand...
AFAIK, no one has supercharged a Cavalier or Astra, though there will be someplace...

And its not an XE BTW, its an SEH, 8 valves down from an XE...

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Take it the water injection is to cool the air to prevet pinking? And where would the water injection be if i wasnt running an I/C? Thought it was only effective once the air had been compressed and heated...

Hmm, really need to see it fitted to know where it goes!

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
you dont need an intercooler to have water injection. i've got it on mine with no intercooler, it goes in just before the throttle body (but my inlet manifold plenum has got a inlet i could put it in there too).

its not essential to have W.I. unless your running over say 10psi boost, it just helps cool the charge temp. if you put methanol in the water 50/50 mix it raise the fuel octane rating aswell.

or you can use nitrous spray for the charge temp cooling.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so i take it from the pics, the square(ish) bit is where the compressed air comes out, then you need to plumb it to an I/C or up to the manifold?
Take it it can be mounted anywhere, as long as you can bolt up the brackets etc. to hold it steady?
Its all somethin to think about in time. Engine will be ready for July, so hoping to get some extra power before i get round to fitting it...

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
in that application, that square bit goes onto the inlet manifold (like on mine). at the opposite end to the pulley, the throttle body bolts on.

some of these pics of mine will help you:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/sttdci/supercharger/

also i got told by oscar jackson (very big supercharger expert in USA) that the M45 blower isnt really strong enough to run an intercooler.

and heres some pics of mine out of the box to show how it goes together

Attachments

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those pics were a big help, but my air intake is on the drivers side of the car, so dont know quite how that would work yet.
Only major problems i can see is mounting the S/C and fitting the belt and tensioner, and fitting it to the manifold, or even finding a manifold that would bolt straight on...

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
the XE link with the missing pics, he cut a big hole in the inlet manifold and welded on a flange (IIRC) to put the SC onto. his was RWD though so the engine was mounted north/south.

have you got any pics of your engine bay and any pics of the cavalier SE engine out of the car?

·
Premium Member
26,464 Posts
phil, your s/c belt, what does it run off?

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
mikey i'll have a look at the pics later and see what i think.

monk, my s/c runs off the drivebelt, so it goes round the crank pulley, water pump, pas pump and aircon pump (and some idler pulleys)

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
sorry i cant really make head nor tail of them engine pics!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TBH, iv pretty much given up on the idea. Cant justify the cost of all the work buying and fitting it, then all the hassle and expense again of getting it up and running properly

Thanks for all the advice though mate

1 - 20 of 23 Posts