Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand this is now a garage job requiring some expensive computer to wind back the Pistons.
This boils my blood when they do things like this which I'm sure is mainly to design out the diy'er and bring work and profit back to the main dealer.

Can anyone confirm this and more importantly know of a way around it's?

·
I would rather push a Ford than drive a VW
1,139 Posts
Before you start you need to put the brake system n service mode, this rewinds the electric piston in calipers

To do this follow these instructions,
Mind you this is of my memory so try it, if it dont work I give me a shout and I can confirm with my old job...

Service mode activation.

Release the electronic parking
brake.
Turn the ignition switch to position
II.1.
Fully depress and hold down the accelerator
pedal.
Press and hold down the parking brake
switch.

Turn the ignition switch to position II within five seconds
of completing sub-step 4.

Wait until the EPB has fully reloaded.

Release the accelerator pedal.

Release the parking brake
switch.

Service mode deactivation.

II.

Fully depress and hold down the accelerator
pedal.

Lift up and hold up the parking brake
switch.

Turn the ignition switch to position II within five seconds
of completing sub-step 4.

Wait until the EPB has fully applied.

Release the accelerator pedal.

Release the parking brake
switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't asked ha ha. Thanks for all that effort. Can you confirm that this is a procedure that doesn't require the use of a main dealer computer. The problems further complicated by the fact the car has a keyless ignition system and only a push button start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't believe it's been 2yrs since I posted and I'm still not convinced how to do this. As I understand it the main problem, for which you require a "EPB Service Tool", is once having wound out the brake cylinder you then need this tool to
"calibrate" the cylinder back to its new position. Apparently it's not enough to just wind up the cylinder either by hand, by a 12v supply applied to the cylinder motor or by a fixed procedure employing the ignition switch and accelerator/brake pedal dance.
If I'm correct has anyone come across a suitable EBP Service Tool they can recommend?

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,686 Posts
Hi, yes I agree with your comments. I do not need mine replacing yet, 20,000 miles and all 4 rear pads have 100% equal even wear, and nothing untoward re wear.

I have also tried to find definitive answers but they don't seem to be 100% clear, they vary from sites to site etc.

I guess you know there are a number of threads/posts in the Mk5 Mondeo section, but nothing is 100% concrete.

I even have this link from the guy across the pond, scroll down and read his guidance on replacing rear pads.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Articles/2013-2016-Ford-Fusion-Common-Problems-Repair-Maintenance-Guides.htm

However, other "experts" say the process for Mondeo is not same as the american Fusion.

I always err on the 100% safe side so until someone can tell me for sure you can do the job "correctly" without the tool I will assume that you must use the tool.

So, leading on to your question, I would also like to know - has anyone come across a suitable EBP Service Tool they can recommend?

Here are the main Mk5 links

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/289801-electronic-parking-brake/

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/320018-electric-parking-brake-auto-release/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks TrevorB. Everything I've read points to the fact that if you want to be safe you either have to let the main stealer do the work (just had a price of £95 from Arnold Clark in Newcastle) or use a "Maintenance Tool" that will do the job.
Listened to Ed China the other day and he used such a tool (looks like a code reader) but also seemed to confirm the safety aspects and that the car computer needs to calibrate itself as to where the thicker pads are.
I'm now searching for one of these maintenance tools and will report back if I find one.

·
8 gears or more please
5,686 Posts
Hi, many thanks for the update.

It is really appreciated when people come back with any outcome.

I haven't dug deep into things myself as I am miles away from needing pads.

Only as a last resort do I let others touch my car so I will eventually be looking to use a "correct" tool.

I think various Y Tube vids show a electronic tool being used and I think that is really the "correct" way.

If the price of £95 includes pads, it is not as bad as I expected from main dealer (assuming they have the electronic tool)

Await your update, many thanks

Add, I am quite surprised that no one has come up with a 1000% definitive answer on the Mondy Mk5 site (yet)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before you start you need to put the brake system n service mode, this rewinds the electric piston in calipers

To do this follow these instructions,
Mind you this is of my memory so try it, if it dont work I give me a shout and I can confirm with my old job...

Service mode activation.

Release the electronic parking
brake.

[Snip......]
Thanks for this procedure, saved my day.

Was getting worried when I couldn't get the calipers over the new pads/disc.

Well...went to the Internet and found this... :) worked like a charm...

My guess is that it's not necessary with any calibration, there is an automatic calibration to compensate for wear on the pads/disc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For anyone wondering I can confirm this procedure worked fine on my 2012 S-max with both EPB and keyless ignition. I saw there was some confusion in the linked Mondeo threads but there needn't be at least for the '06 - '15 S-Max as that procedure is straight out of the Ford workshop manual that can be found here...

https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/s-max.galaxy_2006.5_03.2006/mechanical_repairs/2_chassis/206_brake_system/206-05_parking_brake_and_actuation/description_and_operation/diagnosis_and_testing/general_procedures/electronic_parking_brake_(epb)_release_using_the_vehicle_systems/

It is described as a method to enter EPB service mode 'using the vehicle system' as an alternative to using the Ford diagnostic equipment, so definitely an intended means of facilitating the brake pad swap without additional workshop equipment.

With keyless ignition, the start button toggles ignition on/off. When entering service mode you hear the motors wind the handbrake mechanism all the way back and a message displays on the Convers dash screen informing you the EPB is in service mode.

You can then change the pads/discs. Here comes the only confusing part - I assumed with the handbrake mechanism wound back electronically, you would be left with essentially conventional pistons that can just be pushed back, and indeed the Ford workshop manual doesn't mention winding the pistons back in (whilst it does for non-electronic handbrake calipers). However the pistons absolutely needed winding back in - they were definitely not moving without rotating with significant force applied. But when rotated (clockwise when looking at the piston face - i.e. like a normal thread) they wound in easily. The piston had three notches for engaging a winding tool, and I didn't have a suitable tool, so I just used a bar clamp to provide force and mole grips to rotate the piston.

Once the job is done you deactivate service mode and the electronic mechanism winds back out till it finds the pad biting point then stops. I did this after changing just one side to test, and as expected the motor on the changed side found the new biting point and stopped almost immediately whilst the other side (with very worn pads/disc) continued winding out for several more seconds till finding the old biting point. So this is definitely the means of 'calibrating' to set the mechanism in the correct position - no further calibration required, nor is anything mentioned in the manual.

Hope this helps someone.

·
8 gears or more please
5,686 Posts

·
Megger
2,672 Posts
Wow, is there any way Ford could have made it more complex?

Reinforces my desire to keep my Luddite Mk3 Mondeo on the road.

·
8 gears or more please
5,686 Posts
It is not complicated whatsoever.
The process is a doddle, no manual resets of hand brake cables etc etc.
The "process" just sounds long winded.
I have done half a dozen now and find it a pleasure to do.
Even do them on the side of the road if necessary, ha ha
Don't forget other manufacturers have same/similar systems.
I have found it seems important to have car level for deactivation process.
It's brill, you don't even need any special equipment, or even a windback tool on the Mondeo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.