Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

Planning to change the thermostat on my Mk2 2.0 Mondeo Zetec due to rising and falling engine temps. Doesn't look too difficult according to other forum entries. However I have a couple of queries if anyone can help:
1) Will I lose a lot of coolant and, if so, will simple topping up the header tank with water/antifreeze bring the system up to capacity?
2) Reference has been made to the temp sender unit being faulty. However in traffic or up hills my temp gauge reads normal, only dropping when speed increases. This would lead me to believe it is the thermostat rather than the sensor, Am I correct in this assumption?
3)Any obvious pitfalls to avoid (I am, as my misses states, a bit ham-fisted!!!)

Regards
Richard :beer:

·
Still waiting to Wii
2,699 Posts
correct in the diagnosis re: thermostat, as for working on it, yes, you will lose coolant, topping up with the right mix should be fine, and don't overtighten the housing. They're only little bolts.

·
irishghiax
738 Posts
basilR said:
Hi Folks

Planning to change the thermostat on my Mk2 2.0 Mondeo Zetec due to rising and falling engine temps. Doesn't look too difficult according to other forum entries. However I have a couple of queries if anyone can help:
1) Will I lose a lot of coolant and, if so, will simple topping up the header tank with water/antifreeze bring the system up to capacity?
2) Reference has been made to the temp sender unit being faulty. However in traffic or up hills my temp gauge reads normal, only dropping when speed increases. This would lead me to believe it is the thermostat rather than the sensor, Am I correct in this assumption?
3)Any obvious pitfalls to avoid (I am, as my misses states, a bit ham-fisted!!!)

Regards
Have A look Here M8 :L

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent - cheers for the advice. One last question; is it advisable to drain the whole system first or will I get away with just the slight loss when disconnecting and then topping up. I had a coolant change a couple of services ago (at about 50K)

Cheers

·
MEG Corporal
1,384 Posts
Have a look at this,

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/

About half way down,
"How to Change the Thermostat"

I didn't bother taking the pipes off, you can do it with them on, but it is a bit fiddlie, Use a Ford thermostat, and make sure the "O" ring is in the box,(£15), put the thermostat in with the bleed hole at the top, and put a bit of silicone sealer on the housing cover before you put it back on, and DO NOT over tighten the screws, or you will crack the plastic housing. No need to drain the system, but what coolant have you got, if it is Ford (Orange), only use Ford Orange, as it never needs changing, just topping up, and you buy it ready mixed. If you have something else in, just top it up 50/50 with tap water.

·
Resident LED Guru
2,692 Posts
i done one last friday and never took any pipes off, just the housing. Took a total of around 20mins to do. Hadnt done one before, so you shouldnt find it too hard or take too long to do it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the advice. Mission accomplished this morning; took about an hour all in. Engine warms in about 5 mins now and temp remains rock steady!!

Only hint for anyone else trying this is to place an old bath sheet under the engine - stops coolant spreading all over the garage floor when removing the pipe and cover

Cheers :beer:
Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.