Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap laptop? just need to be able to do internet access,emails and MS Office. No games!! Wireless would be good but not a problem as i have USB and PCMCIA cards here any way! Been looking at Acer??Cheers

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
The Acer ones you can get on ebuyer are pretty good, doubt you will beat those prices and the quality is excellent.

PC world do a couple of cheap ones, but the quality of the plastics is really poor, and they are a similar price to the acer ones anyway.

The only problem I have ever had with the acer ones was that the fans are quite noisy, but that was one from a couple of years back that used an Athlon XP chip, which I suspect was a standard PC cpu, so the cooling requirements were pretty high, the newer ones should be a lot quieter if they use proper mobile processors.

Get one with either a celeron D cpu or a sempron and that will do you fine, the semprons will be cheaper but the battery life maybe a bit shorter than the intel equivilant.

:)

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool,battery life isn't an issue TBH-it will be used for setting up & admin of wireless LAN's so a power point will always be to hand :) ebuyer seem to have some good deals-although it will need more ram (256 as standard with shared graphics taking a chunk!!) RAM seems cheap now too :)

·
Big Megger
250 Posts
Hi,

For what you want to do with it do you really need more Ram?

256 on laptop, Not Gaming, only E mails, office, internet. I dont think that you need it.

As for Ram being cheap, yes I agree that normal ram is, however is laptop ram cheap??

Just my twopennys worth :whistling:

I'm 100% sure mr T will not agree :D

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
It would be cheap enough to put an extra 256 in, you won't need more than that (you may get away with 256, but 512 would make it run much better). However just check that the one you are looking at does have a free memory slot, they normally do but if it doesn't then you would have to buy a 512 instead of just a 256.

But as I said, the Acer laptops are normally pretty good!

The other thing you could do if you wanted would be to get a faster hard drive for it - laptop drives are almost always 4200rpm except on really posh laptops. You could buy a 5400 or even a 7200rpm drive which would make windows load much faster, as the HD is always a bit of a bottleneck on laptops.

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
Mad_one said:
What are you trying to say :} :}

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mad_one said:
Hi,

For what you want to do with it do you really need more Ram?

256 on laptop, Not Gaming, only E mails, office, internet. I dont think that you need it.

As for Ram being cheap, yes I agree that normal ram is, however is laptop ram cheap??

Just my twopennys worth :whistling:

£20 for an extra 256 :) XP loves RAM IMO(even for just internet).........

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
I have an Acer TM2003 I think that I use for work. Not the lightest laptop but I only use on my desk at work and my desk at home.

That was dirt cheap with wireless built in

·
AWOL
19,522 Posts
I did the HDD and memory on my laptop recently, and it runs about 70% quicker... it's worth doing even if you don't play games...

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
I wiped mine a few months ago (F.S. Amilo) and it runs about 200% better. Hadn't wiped it since I got it just over a year ago so the amount of unnecessary crap pre-loaded on it was really slowing it down. Fast as hell now - boots into XP in milliseconds (slight over-exaggeration)

·
MEG Corporal
1,175 Posts
Dell were doing a Celeron 1300 Mhz for £299 including delivery and 1 year on site survey

Can`t say how good or bad they are

1 - 11 of 11 Posts