Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people.

New here as you can see! Just got my Mondeo MK3 a couple of months ago, really enjoying it so far.

A couple of weeks ago I pulled out my sat nav after a journey ready to take it down from the window for security reasons (and because the power from the cigarette lighter's live 24/7)..

I noticed that the plug for the sat nav actually snapped at the top and with the result the metal contacts, fuse and plasic had come out into the cigarette lighter hole.

I spent a good 10 minutes with a pen trying to get the little bits of plasic and a couple of bits of round metal etc (which i took to be from the plug) out....but the lighter socket's never worked since for any other appliance I put into it.

I don't really know what or how to check what could be the problem, apart from the fuses (does the cigar lighter use a fuse exclusively?)...next step is pulling out the glove compartement to get to the internal fuse box...easy according to the ford manual, a nightmare in my experience (failed on all accounts!)

Thanks a lot for your help
Tom

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
check the fises first, you can pull the ashtray and cig lighter and cup holder out just pull it up it will all unclip, then you can unhook the wires and tinker with it.

·
Working on the Choo-Choo trains
1,950 Posts
One thing to note is that if any of the inner part of the socket is touching the outer part then the fuse will immediately blow again. And believe me it is easy to balls up putting it back together.
Get yourself a handful of fuses, remove the lighter one from the fuse box, fit your lighter socket, put a fuse in the fuse box - if the fuse blows immediately then you need to start again.

·
Working on the Choo-Choo trains
1,950 Posts
BTW - my first post is about a Mk2, I'm assuming it's the same for a Mk3 but it's definately possible I'm wrong!

·
Couch Potato
2,944 Posts
Are you sure you got all the bits out ?
When I first got mine the lighter wouldn't work and the ashtray lid wouldn't close fully. I found the remains of a plug in the bottom of mine, but the bits were very difficult to see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey.

I've now fixed this. It was the fuse, and after hawling out the glovebox in the Halfords carpark, managed to pop a new one in, I can now use my satnav again! (gawd knows how I managed to find halfords!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.