Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Little Megger
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 1995 1.8 TD Mk 1, and before giving it a full service (oil and filters now, and belt change after xmas) I've got a couple of questions...
Starts fine and sounds alright for a 140k diesel (note - theres NO history with this!) but a couple of niggles ...
In 1st it can be very sluggish when cold, and on flooring it, when it hits 4k theres no more power and it just seems to die... pop into 2nd and its ok. Turbo feels like its kicking in around 2-3k in 2nd and will throw you from 20ish to over 30 reasonably, so I can't reasonably think theres any probs with the turbo.
Also, when warm, on takeoff from junctions or hard acceleration I seem to be producing a lot of smoke, whitish grey, which does goes when I relax the acceleration. It will take itself upto 90+ with ease, but I think I need the tracking done... but thats another day!

Any ideas warmly recieved!

·
MEG Corporal
492 Posts
welcome aboard :L

never had a MK1 but the lack of power at 4000 rpm is probably right,most diesel don't like being high up the rev range and to be honest all the power is low down from around 2000.

You just need to get used to changing gear earlier.

have you had a search on here for the smoke fault,I'm sure it will have cropped up before..

;) Darren

·
Little Megger
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply! :thumbup:
Fair enough with the power from the engine - not driven a diesel for a fair few years!
I've seen a few comments about the advance solenoid, so I might take a look at that, but a lot of comments don't seem very conclusive.

Oh well.... Its not the end of the world - but having no Central Locking is a real PITA!! :angryfire: :angryfire:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.