Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help here. I have trawled the internet and maybe I'm not describing this very well in the search bar but basically when I first press the break there is a clunk from the near side front. Also sometimes when i go over a bump whilst turning at slow speeds this clunk is present.

If I don't press the brake hard(ish) i.e. slow gradually, the clunk is not present.

It's a 2005 Mondeo estate tdci 130bhp if that helps

In the last couple of weeks I have replaced the lower arm and the track rod end. I was probably a bit ahead of myself replacing the lower arm, I doubt it actually needed it in the end. The track rod end though was completely crackered, caused by Leicestershire's finest potholes

Could it be caused by the drop links. I've given them a wiggle under load and whilst there is some play left to right, there is nothing up and down, or maybe I'm not testing them properly

This breaking clunk has only been present for the last couple of weeks but actually seems to have gotten worse since I replaced the track rod end.

Sorry if there is another similar post on the forum, I had a good trawl but couldn't see anything that quite matched my needs

Thanks

Gareth

·
Clever Clauggs
4,453 Posts
Sounds like snapped coil spring also check the strut/shock absorber aswell as the top bearing and mountings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill have a look tonight at the spring,

I've read that often its the top half of the spring that is most likely to break.

Is there a better test for the top bearing other than lock to lock?

Thanks

·
Clever Clauggs
4,453 Posts
The only way i know is to dismantle the whole strut leg and swivel them by hand,you can hear and feel worn bearings grinding using steering wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bit of an update, spring visually looks fine as does the shock (no leeks and the gators are all correctly in position). Not able to move the spring by hand and its defo seated properly.

I can not re-create the noise by moving the car around by hand but i did see that the response of the suspension is the same on both sides of the car so i think the shock is fine also.

Got a friend to have a listen when it happens at low speed out side of the car and he says sounds like the clunk is at the bottom of the wheel assembly

However i have tried as many different scenarios as possible the way home and found;

Does not happen in reverse.

Only happens once during a braking session. Can happen on the way up or down through a big pothole regardless of breaking or not.

I don't think it has anything to do with the drive-train as i suspect it would be more present and it is not felt in the steering wheel at all although you can feel it in the foot well, i guess because its passing through the anti roll bar.

So I'm going to replace the ARB drop links and see if that cures it. Which at approx £15 isn't going to break the bank.

And if that doesn't work ill get it looked at when i get the tracking sorted. Given the amount of change that's happened its probably worth checking the tracking

·
Clever Clauggs
4,453 Posts
Have you checked all the nuts as wifes Focus was knocking when braking and found it was top of strut single nut was loose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So update time -

Replaced the drop links yesterday - NSF was a pig to get off as completely seized.

Bad news is knocking still present but no where near as bad well it doesn't sound as bad anyway.

I'm guessing the drop link is absorbing a lot more now as is new.

The two ideas I'm left with are - Brake disk is warped and/or pads are defective

Or the ball joint is rubbish. To be fair I didn't spend a lot on the new control arm so this could be a possibility.

I've looked at all the nuts and bolts and they're all good.

I'm tending to lean towards brakes as I can not reproduce the noise when stationary.

Any help though would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Clever Clauggs
4,453 Posts
If brake discs were warped you would feel shaking in the steering wheel as you braked ,it could be the pads sticking in the carrier and then releasing giving you a clunk.

The only other thing i can think of is shaking the wheel for any play in the hub bearing.

The only sure way for me to test a strut is remove and press for resistance and it should come back out again by itself , i was driving on a dead strut for few years and past mot but got a advisory and the difference when going over a bump on a new strut was hardly any clunks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update again -

Im getting to the point where it might have to visit a garage

There is wobble when breaking, it also wobbles when not breaking (Although i think that may be casued by the somewhat bent inner of the Alloy)

The issue only exisits in forward gears, and it comes and goes. For example it was hardly noticible last week, this week it does it on every press of the break, dare i say it seems worse when its wet!

I've pulled the wheel arround (A lot now) and there is no play in any direction!

I am really greatfull of your help so far though.

On my wife Seicento - we only realised the strut was knackerd on one particular drive over a bumpy road when it made a god awful noise, then continued to make the noise after that. After chaning it i realised (given how well it now drives) just how long it must of been knackerd for! Whoops! :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So again tonight, I've had the wheel off stripped down the caliper, there's nothing much wrong or odd wearing patterns on the pad. Did discover that i will need new disks soon. Pulled the other side wheel off, just to check etc, nothing seems different in play or noise.

The only difference is that the off side coil sits right up to the retaining bar at the bottom of coil but the nearside where the clunk comes from has a gap of about 5mm, could this be it???

The wishbone is new since June, so hopefully that's not gone again. Not because its expensive just that I've lost the bar I used to lower the sub frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure if any one will see this, but i have a further update,

Changed spring and shock today, took it for a drive and still cluncking,

Spoke to garage, suggested a couple of bits and bobs, but still cluncking.

To date I have changed

N/S/F

Track Rod End

ARB Drop Link

Shock

Coil

Wishbone (inc all bushes)

OSF

ARB Drop Link

The cluncking is defo coming from the NSF bottom

Any Thoughts?

·
Big Megger
2,886 Posts
cv joint? or even worn tripod bearings further up the shaft?

long shot but seizing brake pads in carrier or piston hitting a sticky point? checked the slider on the caliper to make sure both pads are pressed even?

·
361 Posts
My mk3 knocked similar. Turned out to be loose brake caliper. Tightened it and all good now

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well. It went for new tyres today and was told it is either the tie rod ball joint, steering rack or the steering rack it's self. But it's stopped since have slightly bent wheel rebalancing. Well except once at full lock and very slow speed. So I'm guessing it's the Tie rod as it's defo at the wheel end. Going to take it to my garage for it's MOT in Jan and report back. Thanks everyone for your help.

·
361 Posts
When my tie rod end went I could see play in the wheel when it was lifted off ground. Tie rod play is easy to check and replace.

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

·
Megger
771 Posts
Well. It went for new tyres today and was told it is either the tie rod ball joint, steering rack or the steering rack it's self. But it's stopped since have slightly bent wheel rebalancing. Well except once at full lock and very slow speed. So I'm guessing it's the Tie rod as it's defo at the wheel end. Going to take it to my garage for it's MOT in Jan and report back. Thanks everyone for your help.
Get someone to wobble the steering wheel slightly whilst you look for play. If one side is loose then the wheel/trye won't move on that side whilst the other will wiggle a little with the steering input. That's how I discovered a bot tie-rod end and a tie rod won't be that different.

Have you noticed any infrequent and surprisingly long brake pad travel at all? I experienced this when a bearing had so much play that the disc was pushing the pads back. The bearing didn't make a sound apart from the odd clunk on braking and pot holes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a new rod half price at euro parts,

Will be fitting on Saturday, fingers crossed this is it, becasue Im not sure i want to do the rack.

Will update on Sunday

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you ever find the reason for this noise as I have the exact same issue

recently had new wishbones, track rod ends, link arms, strut bearings, discs, pads

now all of a sudden I'm getting a clunk sometimes when going full lock over bumps epically and when braking hard but not all the time and not when braking gently

noise is a clunk seems to be drivers side under pedals

suspension spring looks ok, but is the only thing I haven't taken of to check!

Hoping someone has a clue

Stfe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts