Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently had a clutch problem with my 02 TDDI.

Symptoms:

Couldn't get a gear after starting the car. However if you started the car with the clutch depressed and the car in gear it would drive away perfectly 4 times out of five.

If you didn't do this the car would not get a gear for you at all.

I checked the hydraulic system and bled it entirely this had no effect.

I replaced the master cylinder. Again no effect.

Turns out the problem was the flywheel. Diesel mondeos after 2001 are fitted with a dual mass flywheel and it went on my car.

New flywheel, clutch and pressure plate cost me the guts of €700.

The car had 85,000 on the clock when the clutch failed.

Hope this is of someuse to you all if you are getting clutch problems. If nothing else it might save on pissing about replacing good parts on the clutch hydraulic system.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
ouch sorry to hear that :(

·
Couch Potato
2,944 Posts
SWMBO had the same problem on her 2002 Focus, 14 months old with only 6,000 miles on the clock !
Repaired under warranty. :L

·
Big Megger
416 Posts
jeez , mines same model as yours with 86k on the clock and sometimes its hard to get into 1st gear when cold.think im going to buy me a warranty when the one i got with the car runs out next month,what with flywheels dropping apart, fuel pumps and injection systems costing loads a money to fix.wondering if ive dropped a clanger buying a mondeo ??

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
yeah there seems tobe a few problems with this duel-mass fly wheel, didnt realise the tddi had it fitted too, its not just the mondy thats effected its the hole ford derv range, which uses the duel mass.

the tdci is a good engine but i feel its lost its relaiblity normaly linked to buying a derv.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
i heard earlyer mk3's didnt have a dual mass flywheel but i have no evidence. is this correct?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts