Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... this strange thing started to happen yesterday... felt a bit weird so here to ask...

When reving up and accelerating, occasionally there will be a sudden increase in rev but no acceleration (the needle just shoot up, like in neutral for about 500rpm) and then the rev will drop down again and back to normal and keep accelerating.

It tends to happen in 3rd gear at around 2750rpm.. and then 4th gear at around 3250rpm... and 5th gear at around 3000rpm

What does this sound like? All of them happen when i kind of throttled down slightly, but not flooring it.

Instinct tells me that it is something to do with the clutch.. and the mileage at the moment is around 87000...

Phil

·
MEG Commander
6,006 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is starting to slip, not much you can do as theres no real adjustment you can make on the hydraulic clutches, where abouts is the biting point on the pedal travel?
Could be a problem with the hydraulic system or one of it's components like the master or slave cylinder but this is difficult to check without just replacing parts.

Steve

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right.. Cheers....

The biting point is very high since bought...

in that case the whole bunch will be changed in one go then... clutch kit with slave cylinder.... and hopefully it will also cure the gear change problem... :shifty:

Phil

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
hmmm, that is something you can only hopy for.
make a xmas wish

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haa... Christmas wish... i like that idea but the chance of it happening is the same as diesel being cheaper than petrol! :tongue:

Well have to travel less using the car then... save up a bit for all the repairs... :innocent:

Phil

·
Registered
273 Posts
siacelestar said:
haa... Christmas wish... i like that idea but the chance of it happening is the same as diesel being cheaper than petrol! :tongue:

Phil
God I must be old....
...I DO remember when diesel was considerably cheaper than petrol... :sad:

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
that's right i think it costs much less than the potrol anyway.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
naa... petrol is at around 85p per litre at the moment and diesel is well above 90p (around 92p cheapest i can find) per litre.

Anyway... for the clutch replacing, (includes change of slave cylinder and the release bearing) what price should i be looking at?

cheers

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.