Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this might end up being moved as im not sure where to put it!

I recently had the clutch go on my MK2 1.8TD, and have since had it changed. There is one problem though and that is the smell has not gone away (I expect it to be dust from the knackard clutch).

This dust gives me an awful headache when driving, and id like to know if anyone has anything to suggest to get rid of it?

Ive jetwashed the engine bay, cleaned the cabin and used copius ammounts of air fresheners and fabric fresheners, all to no avail. Im at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Happy new year everyone,

Cheers
Simon

·
MEG Corporal
1,033 Posts
take it for a blast with the windows down to clear the smell, see if it re-occurs. If so, it'll be another problem. Could be a carrier bag stuck on the exhaust or something else touching the exhaust. Probably worth looking around the exhaust manifold and right the way under the car. :L

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
doubt it , as far as i know it is impopssible to misalign a clutch , maybe it is exhaust gases getting into the car somehow :sad:

·
MEG's resident oven
11,381 Posts
you can misalign a clutch, if its off center it will burn out.

whatever it is if its making you feel ill get it to a garage pronto and get it sorted!

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
how , if it is offcentre then the gearbox input shaft will not line up so therefore the gearbox will not fit onto the engine !!!!!!!!

·
MEG's resident oven
11,381 Posts
there is still a few millimeters play once the shaft is in place. hence the need for a proper aligning tool or it will burn out quickly again

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
on a splined shaft , i would be seriously worried if i found any play there !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
MEG's resident oven
11,381 Posts
nooooooooooo around the hole in the actual clutch, that has to be dead center, the shaft will still pass through. if its not dead centre it will burn out

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
do you mean the cover plate that bolts onto the flywheel , whenever i have changed one they have dowelled so they cant be out of alignment :L

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no, the smell is the same smell when it burnt out, its only not gone away. My only other thought is it could be particles in the pollen filter. Il have a further look later. :L

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's almost impossible to misalign a clutch. You can't get the input shaft on the gearbox wrong, because the pressure plate holds the clutch so it can only move up-down, left-right. Even though if you misaligned the input shaft and the clutch sligtly, they will be sentered when you srew the gearbox to the back of the engine.

The reason for a aligning tool (very often an old input shaft) is to have the clutch sentered before you put on the gearbox. If you don't have a tool to do this, it can be very difficult to fit the gearbox.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.