Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Megger
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ho one and all,

My wife's three button key is not opening the doors. Checked the battery (2.6v) and replaced with anew one, but still, nothing.

Been reading the 'how to program a new key' posts (Mk3 Mondeo Key fob programming help please!) and preparing to give it a try.

Ignition from off to position 2, four times in six seconds then press the lock button (presumably while it is still in the ignition?)

My concern, is doing this likely to change anything in the car so that my key, which works, will suddenly not work?

Paranoid? Moi??

·
Super Moderator
31,294 Posts
That procedure is for the remote fob only, does not affect anything else.

Yes you can leave the key in the ignition, it should be in the off position when pressing the fob button.

·
Megger
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks; I'll give it a try.

As it happens, she does not drive these days and did not realise that the key will work by inserting into the drivers door.

·
Megger
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My above comment was a little premature!!!

Having programmed my wife's key, it did everything it was supposed to do, hence the comment. I did not post back, but one hour later, when i was to go out, I used my key and the fob would not open the car. Opened manually and reprogrammed, tested and all was fine.

Today, my wife wanted something from inside, and again, her fob will not work.

Don't understand; seems like something will only allow one active key fob.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Thanks and toodle pip

·
Super Moderator
31,294 Posts
Yep as above coding a remote fob erases previous fobs. Code all fobs at the same time. Press button on fob one
then button on fob 2 etc etc.

·
Megger
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't quite understand. Put one key in the ignition, turn 4 times within 6 seconds, wait for the beep, then press the open button on the fob until it beeps again.

Then immediately, press the open button on the second fob, which is not in the ignition?

·
Super Moderator
31,294 Posts
Yes. You have to press a button on every fob to add it to the list of accepted fobs. Coding one
fob at a time erases the previously installed fobs.

ignition on/off etc etc... button on fob1 and then button on fob 2, 3 .... then ignition on and off to exit.

·
Megger
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, to understand this as if I am a five year old!!!!

Key in ignition and second key on the passenger seat. Ignition, on/off, four times within 6 seconds, should hear a buzz then with the ignition off(?) press the unlock button on the fob. Second buzz; all done. Pick up the key from the passenger seat and press the unlock button and they should both be coded. (Should there be another buzz?) Ignition on/of to exit.

·
Super Moderator
31,294 Posts
Yes. The 2nd key does not need to be in the ignition just close to hand. Forget the time limit between button presses
but its not super short.

·
Super Moderator
31,294 Posts
Just need to activate the motion locking when you start driving now. :) Did that on my sisters car and instead of
complaining she said she liked that feature... (Doors auto lock when you drive away)

·
Megger
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never heard of motion locking and in the 18 years I have owned the car, don't recall ever needing it. Can't believe that anyone would want to 'hi-jack' my 20 year old Mondeo. i will take a rain check on that 'feature.'

But one thing fascinates me about how to activate these various features. Did all the design executives sit around and figure out how to activate / deactivate whatever by how many times something can be pressed / turned on-off / using just one button? Seems nuts to me.

·
Super Moderator
31,294 Posts
Yeah, watch an MOT tester with a modern diesel doing his foot and finger dance to disable the DPF regen
during the emissions test and stop start systems.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have to disagree with setting the doors to lock when the car sets off, in a serious accident the locked doors can cost precious seconds and my old man who is Ex traffic old bill spoke of a number of times where people had died in a vehicle fire following a crash because members of the public could not get at them before the flames prevented them trying to get in the vehicle.

·
I Love Diesel
2,481 Posts
Never heard of motion locking and in the 18 years I have owned the car, don't recall ever needing it. Can't believe that anyone would want to 'hi-jack' my 20 year old Mondeo. i will take a rain check on that 'feature.'

But one thing fascinates me about how to activate these various features. Did all the design executives sit around and figure out how to activate / deactivate whatever by how many times something can be pressed / turned on-off / using just one button? Seems nuts to me.
You'll like this one then:

·
Super Moderator
31,294 Posts
I have to disagree with setting the doors to lock when the car sets off, in a serious accident the locked doors can cost precious seconds and my old man who is Ex traffic old bill spoke of a number of times where people had died in a vehicle fire following a crash because members of the public could not get at them before the flames prevented them trying to get in the vehicle.
Pretty sure they unlock in an accident. Never tried that though. :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Pretty sure they unlock in an accident. Never tried that though. :)
ha ha.

I personally would not want to trust that they will unlock, they definitely wont if the battery gets destroyed in the crash which is not uncommon.

On the subject of crash triggered safety devices, i was towing my ex years back and she let slack develop in the rope then tried to take it up rapidly and the shock triggered my cars fuel pump cut out, left both of us stuck in the middle of a junction till i could reset it and the reset button on a Sierra is in the boot under the spare wheel!!!

·
Super Moderator
31,294 Posts
Used to use the fuel cutoff on a Rover 825i as a backup anti-theft device. Enough room to poke a finger through the
trim to activate the cutoff switch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts