Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Back in England.......
18,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, this is a part I have absolutely no clue about..... Suspension. I've heard the term coilovers used a bit on here in regards to dropping a car. Are they as the name implies a 'clamp' that holds the springs slightly compressed to lower the car?

Are there any benefits / bad points of these over lowering springs? If they are clamps, what happens when the suspension compresses then releases (like going over a spead bump or summat, would it not damage the springs?

Has anyone any ideas on prices for these? I'd be looking at dropping about 30mm if I did.

Cheers

·
MEG Corporal
1,091 Posts

·
Back in England.......
18,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still a bit lost with what they actually are but they deffo aint what I thought they were.

Cheers :L

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
GingaGizmo said:
Right, this is a part I have absolutely no clue about..... Suspension. I've heard the term coilovers used a bit on here in regards to dropping a car. Are they as the name implies a 'clamp' that holds the springs slightly compressed to lower the car?

Are there any benefits / bad points of these over lowering springs? If they are clamps, what happens when the suspension compresses then releases (like going over a spead bump or summat, would it not damage the springs?

Has anyone any ideas on prices for these? I'd be looking at dropping about 30mm if I did.

Cheers
TG,did an awful lot of question asking on the
same lines.
He did it in the WHEELS IN MOTION section,i have
read them,and it's quite informative.
I did go looking at some WEITEC coilovers
the base model,and i was'nt impressed by the
neanderthal method of rear shocker adjustment,
4 grooves with a circlip,so i would say if
you want coilovers that are going to be easy
to adjust,then you are going to be spending
alot of cash,for the one's with the screw thread
adjustment system.
But i have gone the other way,i have ordered
a set of tried and tested Eibach lower spring.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
basically talking £660 for mk3 and the ones i seen for mk2 which should be no probs on a mk1 too £700 plus but finding them can prove difficult.

·
Back in England.......
18,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, so basically they are an adjustable drop suspension kit?

If I was after just dropping it 30mm or so then I would be bestjust getting springs and maybe shocks?

·
Back in England.......
18,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool :L

At least I know what they are now :D

I remember hearing summat quite a few years back about these clamps that went over standard spring and compressed them to lower the car. I thought thats what Coilovers where.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
no them things are cheap i wouldnt trust them though heard horror stories about them.

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
mk2 coilovers can be sourced from the states aslong as you have koni's.

Maybe get some to straddle standard shocks but havent looked into it as i have 35mm droppers koni's waiting to be coiledover

jcth1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.