Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, recently bought a 2.0 TDCi 130ps, and having a slight issue when it's cold

it starts fine first time, but it idles really rough, there is a hell of a lot of white smoke ( urburnt fuel !? ) and it lacks power until it heats up a bit - if put your foot down at low revs it doesnt seem to accelerate then there is a 'burst' of energy and the engine seems lethargic - once it's ran for a minute or two ( perhaps about 1/4 - 1/2 of gentle driving it's fine

once heated up it's fine - a bit rough on idle - but dont know if it is actually rough, or whether i'm just used to driving my petrol cars ! there is no white smoke, etc

couild it be the glowplugs ? i'm not sure on that one as it starts fine, but noticed that they are powered by a relay for a few seconds after cranking ( according to an article on here anyway! )

any suggestions ?

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
similar happens to mine, after a cold soak it would have rough idling... struggle to be smooth... after a few minutes it would run fine...

if trying to run during the rough time it would be very jerky.... as if one or two of the cylinders are not firing....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, that's exacyly what i'm talking about !

almost as if the glow plug heats enough to start it, but isnt keeping them "live" long enough to control the air temp during the warm up phase...

anyone got any idea how difficult they are to replace ? not had a decent chance to go exploring under the bonnet due to the weather daylight since i got it !

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
'sfar as i know theyre about as taxing as spark plugs

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm - i used to drive a clio, in the early days of the facelift model, the only place to get a spark plug key was from snap on, roughly £100 for it if i remember- there was no other 'risk free' way of removing them... with any luck they are a lot easier on the mondeo.. although i can't actually find the spark plugs on my diesel (joke) ;)

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
ebee said:
anyone got any idea how difficult they are to replace ? not had a decent chance to go exploring under the bonnet due to the weather daylight since i got it !
Similar situation here... dreamed that by changing to better glow plugs this problem might be solved... but before carefully thinking and tracing i thought the injectors were the glow plugs! luckily i didn't do anything.....

Anyone able to post some insturction up on how to do it?

Phil

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
omg you could have really fcuked the job up taking out the injectors!!!!! lol!!!

not done it myself, i might have to do it because mine seems to do similar things when it gets really cold (2 degrees and under).

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
A solution (well not a very good one but hey...) which i use is to use the ignition... position 2 - wait for a few seconds after the glow plug light goes out - position 1 - position 2 -......

after about 2 to three times it does crank up slightly bettter...

The most dramatic was when i was with my mates in my car and i didn't do that after a cold night soak... crank up, the engine fired up and then after two seconds it stalled itself! A bit embarassed really... :whistling:

May get the glow plugs changed later if i know how to do it.... ;)

Phil

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
i thought about doing it so i phoned motosave and they quoted me £40 for a set. so i decided to change them after the first time it WONT start at all!!! lol

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
rainbowcar said:
i thought about doing it so i phoned motosave and they quoted me £40 for a set. so i decided to change them after the first time it WONT start at all!!! lol
Ouch.... :eyesup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had a similar problem wth mine for the first minute (04 TDCI 115) and ford dealer diagnosed injector. He couldnt work out which one so changed them all.(under warranty) That was about 1000 miles ago and that sorted it. Still getting black soot under heavy revving.

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
ford dealer diagnosed injector. He couldnt work out which one so changed them all.(
OMG tats one ford dealer i wouldn't be going back to!!! :sad: :whistling:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.