Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
TVR Chimaera Clubman 500CS, Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5, Toyota Supra Mk3 3.0, Ford Mondeo Mk4 2.5TiX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody has experience in sourcing somewhat inexpensive fuel injection manifolds for an Essex V6. I've just bought a Scimitar GTE SE5 that I'm looking to bin the carbs and distributor off, seeing as I spend a reasonable amount of time doing the same to TVR V8s.

My current thought is a 2.9 Sierra system with twin throttles looks desirable and cheap, and great for future plans, but I am unsure if the manifolds fit the Essex V6 heads. Or if they don't, how much work it will take to make a Cologne manifold fit.

Also curious if anybody has to hand injector body dimensions for the Sierra 2.9 injectors, I suspect a spare set of Cerbera or Rover V8 injectors will fit...

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
755 Posts
never heard of a cologne manifold being fitted to an Essex so chances are the 2 arent interchangeable without a lot of rework. if you plan to bin the distributor, then chances are you will be looking to fit some kind of aftermarket ECU anyhow (which as im sure you know will require some sort of engine position sensor, and many use a distributor for that purpose alone)
if it were me, id be looking around to see if theres an aftermarket EFi manifold that fits the essex heads (im sure an RS3100 Capri one will be impossible to find) OR id be tempted to pull the essex out and drop in a cologne.
im sure you already know this too but if you decide to stick with the essex, id advise checking the timing gears and if not already done, swap the fibre gear out for a steel one. not common but they have been known to fail. cologne is a chain driven engine.

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Siamese ports on the Cologne?

Injection parts could be on their last legs by now and need a replacement option. Can you still get new parts
that cost less than a decent car?

Stick a Rover V8 in there?

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
755 Posts
Siamese ports on the Cologne?

Injection parts could be on their last legs by now and need a replacement option. Can you still get new parts
that cost less than a decent car?

Stick a Rover V8 in there?
if im reading it correctly, the injection wont be the standard K-jetronic affair fitted to a cologne anyhow, it will get different injectors and an ECU to control it all in EFI form rather than mechanical. as for the Rover V8 idea, in theory yes, but in standard form put out no more power (torque yes, but not power) than the injection cologne V6 (in either 2.8 or 2.9 form) at around 160bhp and are themselves becoming hard to get hold of for sensible money

1 - 4 of 4 Posts