81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·

·
Registered
316 Posts
Got some brand new Xenons of Ebay... For £20 the pair!

Going to have a look at splitting them and doing the blackeye mod!

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·

Going black? or have you another colour in mind?

·
Registered
316 Posts

Going black? or have you another colour in mind?
[/quote]

Going black... my car is bluey/silvery... They are a bugger to get apart. Tried hairdryer... nowt. Buying a heatgun tomorrow!!

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's not easy bud. Took me about a week from start to finish!

I firstly trimmed off the very outer edge of the join. Then used a heat gun, Stanley knife and kitchen knives to separate the lense from the body of the light.

Once apart sand down the chrome until keyed up. Prime, leave for 24hrs, top coat, leave for 24hrs, lacquer, leave for 24hrs. Seal lights back up with tigerseal or similar.

It is very fiddly and you need the patience of a saint. But looks good when done!

Posted Image

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice job dohboy! Your car looks sweet :)

But I Think im lacking experience with heat gun and other stuff, dont want to mess up all headlights.. Maybe is there any specialized sites or garages or something who do that for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Must be more difficult to do on MK4s then!

i did mine (and a few sets i've flogged on eBay with no comebacks so far) by heating the sealant, prising the light unit apart with the screwdriver bit of a swiss army knife.
i then sanded the chrome with a light sanding pad, and sprayed with 2-3 coats of satin black paint from Halfords. no primer needed.
then refitted and blah
heated the sealant around the lens, heated the sealant around the light unit, then pressed together. no extra sealant. no condensation/misting.
3-4 hours start to finish.

·
Registered
316 Posts

i did mine (and a few sets i've flogged on eBay with no comebacks so far) by heating the sealant, prising the light unit apart with the screwdriver bit of a swiss army knife.
i then sanded the chrome with a light sanding pad, and sprayed with 2-3 coats of satin black paint from Halfords. no primer needed.
then refitted and blah
heated the sealant around the lens, heated the sealant around the light unit, then pressed together. no extra sealant. no condensation/misting.
Yes mate a lot harder to do the MK4s!! :p

·
Big Megger
2,220 Posts

then refitted and blah
Yes mate a lot harder to do the MK4s!! :p
I'll second that - I did my Mk2 and Mk3, but spent ages trying to work out how the Mk4 lights come apart - then gave up. It the lights were as cheap as the Mk3s I'd have bought a spare pair and done them, but they seem to be a least £200 per side second hand! Which is kind of putting me off. May have to just resort to flyeyes!

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·

·
Mondeo Whisperer
2,583 Posts
Hmmm don't know weather it's me but I see the MK4 as far more upper class than the MK3 and it just dosen't suit black eyes at all :crazy:

·
Big Megger
2,220 Posts
I won't do it ;-)

It blocked too much light out, and looked naff on my Mk3, I only had them on for about 2 weeks before realising the error of my ways!

I might just have to man up and chop my lights in half!

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Hmmm don't know weather it's me but I see the MK4 as far more upper class than the MK3 and it just dosen't suit black eyes at all :crazy:
i think the front view of silver mk4 lights looks ok, but better with blackeyes, the view that i'm not so fond of is the side view, that indicator strip just looks wrong. Yes, blackeyed, it is still there, but it doesn't stand out so much.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts