Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 2.0 tcdi with 40,000miles .... last week (for the third time in two years) got the flashing glow plug and limp mode. Mechanic cleared diagnostic codes but unlike previous times, the dtc immediately came back. Week later and a grand out of pocket for four Bosch injectors and car is running fine. But I worry the symptoms have been fixed without getting to the root cause?

I plan to talk to garage later but need to swot up a bit first:

1) mechanic said three of the four injectors were leaking so replaced the set. But is this really possible after 40k ... what is the life expectancy? I thought maybe 100k - 200k but I'm thinking of my old Peugeot.

2) with a bit of googling I found a revelvant Ford Technical Bulletin (my build of engine) that warns of the injector pump wearing due to some problem, I think, of case hardening of components. The bulletin warns of the possiblility that failure will produce metal filings that could get to the injectors.

The test Ford suggest is to interrupt the return line from the fuel filter and test for iron filings. Mine is clean of course.

But if the filings are getting into the high pressure common rail, how would they

a) get back to the low pressure system and
b) is drawing 200ml of fuel a sensible test with a full tank (50ltrs). I thought maybe flushing the fuel filter might be more sensible but I don't know.

And is there another way of see if the pump is failing eg measuring the pressure in the 'common rail'? I think there is a 'FRP - fuel rail pressure' transducer that would measure this, but what is 'normal'.

Any help / advice welcomed - I don't want to spend out on another set of injectors in a few weeks. Thanks in anticipation. Mike.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
there is no life expectancy on a tdci really theyre a common fault if you had a look at other threads in this section first you would have found out half what you need to know atleast.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
I dont think its all doom and gloom for everyone though. The earlier TDCI's seemed to suffer more than the later ones, but its by no means every car. Sure the vast majority get well over 40k without a hiccup.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
m8internet said:
I'd go for a expected life on injectors of about 4 years or 150K miles
If one goes, then replace the entire set AND the pipes
£1000 or thereabouts every 4 years is a bit excessive. 150k I can understand, but not 4 years - otherwise no-one would buy a 3 year old TDCi

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
I think what you need to bare in mind is that some of the people that are drawn to a forum are owners that have problems and because of this you can get the feeling that these cars are an unrelilable box of bolts.

The Mondeo and Ford cars in general are in high ratings in terms of reliablility. I think in 2003 or 2004 Ford won the German TUV car survey aalthough I think it was the Focus that was the most reliable. Think how many Mondeo TDCi's are out there. If even 50% of them blow an injector after 4 years there will be a public outcry and probably a forced recall.

My girlfriend had a '52 TDCi 130 as a company car (2nd owner) and it had about 70K on it when she handed it back. These were the first common rail Mondeo's and were supposed to be the most troublesom. Well it went like stink, really, I had a job to keep up with it in a Vectra 1.9 CDTi 150 6 speed!! also the engine had a hard life being a company car and used as a pool car but it never missed a beat.

Just put it into prospective and think of all the owners that have no problems with their Mondeo's.

Mines no angel and I'm currently using Ford Customers Relation to force my local dealer to honour the warranty but thats another story..

The injectors are fine :L

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
i think it must be down to how ppl drive i mean if your giving your car stick as im going over 3000 rpm often it makes the engine work harder, i keep under 3000rpm most of the time inffact under 2500 rpm majority of the time, ive not got a tdci but theyre high pressure systems and the more u give them throttle the more they need to work this is just a theory though.

·
Big Megger
238 Posts
I think TDCiDick is right. Most/many members on here joined when problems arose. Cars are like drains to most people, the don't really notice them until they give trouble then there's a big stink! If you're a medic it must seem that everybody's ill all the time, in reality they're not, just those you see in your clinic. Few companies have the decades of high-mileage experience that Ford gained over the years.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
totalguy said:
i think it must be down to how ppl drive i mean if your giving your car stick as im going over 3000 rpm often it makes the engine work harder, i keep under 3000rpm most of the time inffact under 2500 rpm majority of the time, ive not got a tdci but theyre high pressure systems and the more u give them throttle the more they need to work this is just a theory though.
Or to counter that, the less you work them the more clagged up they get and the more strain is put on things like the DMF which are subjected to peak torque at every gear change :D

Chris

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
cant win can you

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
You can, its called mixed moderate driving. Once its warm you should give them a blast, up to the red line its been suggested but I wouldn't. 3500 rpm just to let it clear its throat, usually all over the car behing me :whistling:

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
TdciDick said:
You can, its called mixed moderate driving. Once its warm you should give them a blast, up to the red line its been suggested but I wouldn't. 3500 rpm just to let it clear its throat, usually all over the car behing me :whistling:
I would agree with that !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the feedback ... I'm not sure its really cleared up the 'how long will an injector live' question. Except my model is an early Tdci so may be less longlived than later models. I know the new injectors had an additional -A on the part number which I think means they are now piezo and not springs.

But as a born worrier, and renowned skinflint, any thoughts on how to test if the injector pump is shedding / has shed filings?

Mike

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Dansmondeo said:
TdciDick said:
I would agree with that !
mine dosent smoke at all not one little bit, reset the ECU earlyer for the weekend gave it a good blast it was fun while it lasted a quick five miles lol. Dosent have sound sweet 2000-3000rpm with that panel filter.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Neither does mine and hasn't since I got it - but I have been using injector cleaner which will help keep it that way. Also, rarely take it towards 2.5k let alone above and when I have i've not noticed any smoke.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Best way to check the smoke is to follow someone else driving your car or get someone else to rev it in neutral. Because of the downward angle of the exhaust pipe, it's difficult to see from the driver's seat :D

Chris

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
ive only just started using millers diesel plus although im not seeing any improvement at all mpg is a bit pants but then im driving round town pretty much all the time at the moment and getting about 450-500 a tank stil lno smoke as before cant see any performance gain either, maybe its at its peak as it seems to have been well looked after, with a fsh.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.