Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I've searched and searched on this one, and can't find the answers, so...

Has anyone any experience of converting their side lights, indicators, and stop/tail lights to LED's?

I am planning on buying a full set from Ultraleds, but want to be sure that 1) they'll work, and 2) they'll look good!

So if you've fitted any of these, can you let me know your thoughts, and any tips / things to avoid?

Many thanks

DW

·
Big Megger
230 Posts
I tried some LED cluster lamps to replace the bulbs in the rear indicators - they were crap and I returned them to the shop.

They were not bright enough through the amber lens and they did not light up the whole lens like the bulb does, just got a 1 inch dot in the centre.

If you replace the indicators with LED bulbs then they are likely to flash too fast as the flasher unit detects the lower current drawn, which is usually due to a blown bulb.
This can be remedied by using a resistor in parallel to the LED bulb, but I would not bother as it looks rubbish and is not safe as other drivers cannot see them in the daytime, also they are not approved or road legal.

Pic 1 : Similar to LED bulb I tried.

Pic 2 : Simulation of effect

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, that was my worry. Don't want to spend 50 quid on fancy lights that look sh1te!

Thanks for the info.

DW

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
the led bulbs on ultraleds are brighter than the one shown in the post above. that one has no sideways facing LED's so only gives the small circle of light.

The LED's on ultraleds have a few pointing out at the side so they light up the reflector like a normal bulb does so should be much more effective.

I thought about converting all my bulbs to LED's ( the indicators can be sorted using the inline resisors or by replacing the flasher unit with one for a beemer that has LED's as standard, they just flash at one speed even with a bulb out - ultraleds have them too. ) but my mk3 estate is giving me some trouble as it uses a strange bulb for the tail light / fog light that is prooving hard to locate as an LED bulb.

Just testing some sidelight LED's at the minute to see how they fair with my upgraded main headlight bulbs. ( plastic and big heat could be fatal )

My advice would be to try some LED bulbs out as your rear side/tail lights if possible to see what they look like, not much £ lost that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts