Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hope someone can help. So I'm not knowledgable about cars but I'm currently fixing mine with the help of my partners Dad.

Basically I have a leak on the metal engine coolant pipe underneath the drivers side of my MK3 Mondeo Estate 2L. Was a small hole and now it's a big one and I definitely need a new pipe.

Any ideas on where it is being fed from and where it is going to? Looks like it comes down from engine, runs along the underneath of the car and then there's a leak right in the middle of that length.

I called a Ford Garage and the guy on the phone said he was looking at a diagram to find the part and needed to know where it was connected from and to.

Thanks!

Jason

·
I could do with a profile pic
1,855 Posts
Is the the oil cooler ?

Can you take a picture?

I'll have a look at a TDCI I have tomorrow if we're none the wiser about which pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
30,324 Posts
Metal? Not an aircon pipe?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe it is the air con....i'll take a look tomorrow to find out what it's connected to and where it's going. Does the coolant get used for the air con as well? I know it definitely looked red when the liquid was coming out. I think it's the only metal pipe under the car...apart from the fuel line I think.

·
1,855 Posts
Air con will be green and no doesn't use coolant.
Maybe a picture?
You sure it's from the pipe and not dripped on to it?

·
Super Moderator
30,324 Posts
As above aircon most likely green, although possible it has a dye in it.

Is the coolant level actually dropping? There used to be threads in the base

of the expansion tanks cracking.

They will only leak when warm, when cooled it shrinks and seals the cracks.

·
Little Megger
4,561 Posts
Is it an old Mondy? I think the pipe is only fitted to the earlier models, which might cause some confusion with TF members with later models.

·
1,855 Posts
Ah that one. Going under the bell housing side of the engine, always struck me as being a strange route for a crucial plastic pipe!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes that is the pipe by the looks of it! I've seen it before but didn't realise till just now. Mine is also metal not plastic. Any idea whether a plastic one is better than metal? Obviously metal will rust but will the plastic break?

Been trying to source a metal one, but the Ford Garage wants to know where the pipe goes to and from so they know exactly what it is. Can someone give me an idea on how to describe this pipe? Pictures are attached by the way. The last photo is the water pump I'm guessing?

As far as I know it attaches to the large plastic silicone pipe that is attached to the water pump and the radiator? The other end I'm not sure about. It's mounted to the transmission box I think. A good description would help me a lot!

Thanks!

Jason

Attachments

·
Little Megger
4,561 Posts
Well, you could do some detective work by googling that part in the ebay ad:-2s71-8c364-ac

and see what comes up....or, if you've the patience, I saw a new one pictured in the 'National Clearance Centre'

website a while back....but it means trawling through all the pics to find it, as there's no search function, but if it's still there at least you've got the finis code for the part, which is what your Ford dealer needs to order one.

·
1,855 Posts
Just looked the a car I'm stripping...
The metal pipe at the rear has a junction, one side goes up to the heater matrix. At the front of the metal pipe it goes up and joins with what looks like the radiator hose.
The actual metal bit though is simply the bit that runs under the engine alongside turbo hose. At each end is a rubber hose.

Telling ford it runs under the engine linking radiator to heater matrix should be enough for them to find it!! They have exploded diagrams and it's literally the only one running under there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts