Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hiding under a Rock
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Has anyone used copper spark plugs?
My understanding is that iridium or platinum plugs are for longevity purpose only.
A copper plug is about a tenth of the price and the access to the plugs doesn't seem to be difficult, so it makes sense to give it a go.
cheers.

·
Hiding under a Rock
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i looked up the NGK numbering system chart and i can't quite figure out its copper equivalent.
Platinum is PTR6F-13, which I understand to be P (Premium Platinum) T (14mm thread, 17.5mm reach, 16mm hex, tapered seat) R (resistor) 6 (heat range) F (Firing End Construction: A,B,C... Special Construction) - 13 (1.3mm gap)

So F must be one of the special constructions but what does that mean?
This is not as straightforward as I hoped to be...

At the moment it has Bosch ones - I'll check the part number marking on them.

·
Super Moderator
29,796 Posts
Copper conducts well but copper wears out a lot faster because its soft. Older plugs needed to be regapped where modern
plugs are a fit and forget for 100,000 miles and maybe more.

The modern plugs can also run hotter to ensure they burn off the deposits. I remember adding electronic kits to cars with
a standard distributor and the gaps used to open or close over a few thousand miles depending on the car. But they did
appear to wear out faster.

·
Hiding under a Rock
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes well it's a bit like changing oil at shorter intervals, isn't it.
i used to run copper plugs on a high compression turbo skyline, where originally platinum was prescribed, no issue at all. it was coil on plug and had to remove a few covers but would rather do that than pay 10 times the price.
duratec-HE is a piece of cake compared to that.
i've got bosch HR7KPP33+ at the moment. the gap tool only goes up to 1.1mm, i'd better find the feeler gauges...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i used to run copper plugs on a high compression turbo skyline, where originally platinum was prescribed, no issue at all. it was coil on plug and had to remove a few covers but would rather do that than pay 10 times the price.
Same here, was a lot safer mapping it with copper plugs as they would give up before the piston took any damage.
Plus ,the less than £12 for 6 plugs compared to the £150 I was charged for Iridiums by GTArt was a lot nicer.

Reactions: ul9601
1 - 6 of 6 Posts