Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
dont know , could you , a little bit more info might go a long way ;)

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Question is, why was it sent to the previous owner? Surely the car would have been registered under your address therefore the tax would have been sent to you.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
oooiiiiiiiiiiiii dont ask me !!!!!!!! , only kidding my mate ;) , i was wondering that as well :whistling:

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I bought it I didnt put it my name right away, and it wasn't till I taxed it online last week, once I did it I realised that the disc would go to him :BEEP:

Iv'e tried leaving v/mail's, tx's but he just will not reply to anything, that's if the same number he gave me mind you!!.

I do have two addresses (again, if there right) one of which is on the V5. Iv'e sent in a V33 refund form for lost/stolen discs, but just wondering if I'm really better getting the policed involved, or if that would a waste of time..

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
so ................. you are to blame for the mess you are in !!!!!!! :yawn:

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
You should have gone to the post office with the little green slip in hand really and taxed it yourself. Not sure the Police would be interested as you are partially to blame for not doing the change of owner quicker. You would have to ask them really, but you never know - the guy may have just filled out a refund slip himself and sent it back in to get the cash.

·
Banned
72 Posts
DavePage said:
You should have gone to the post office with the little green slip in hand really and taxed it yourself. Not sure the Police would be interested as you are partially to blame for not doing the change of owner quicker. You would have to ask them really, but you never know - the guy may have just filled out a refund slip himself and sent it back in to get the cash.
I would have done, but it was a saturday night, and I wanted to try the online way, as I'd never did it like that before.

But what I did (once I realised this) was to sorn it online right away and phoned the dvla the next day (who them me the V33 form...you only get one from them).

I have also written two letter's (to dvla) stating exectly what happened, but I really dont know if this :BEEP: will be away with my £96 :BEEP:

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Know when I returned the tax on my last car I got the Ford from the DVLA site itself. There is a possiblity if he gets the V33 and sends that back with the tax that he will be sent a cheque for the remainder of the tax - thats unless they intercept it because of your letters.

Good Luck with it :L

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No the V33 got sent to me, and Iv'e now filled it in and sent it back, and also made about 5 phone call's to various people there too explaining what happened.

Mind you, there's a bit on it that say's whether the disc was lost/destroyed or stolen....

I said lost...but I wish now I said stolen, I may phone them tomorrow to see whether they got it yet and if so, I'll tell them this...that basically it HAS been stolen..

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
just out of curiousity , who are the various ppl you have spoken too ???? :whistling:

·
Love my cheap to run Mondy's
658 Posts
It's really a civil matter, and I doubt the police would want to be involved. However, since you are honest and in the right I presume, why not just pop in and ask them. They might phone the guy on your behalf, or pop in to see him as a goodwill gesture. Always worth a try. Best of luck. Lessons learned etc. Every day's a schoolday.

·
Banned
341 Posts
what you should have done is gone to your nearest local DVLA office and Explaned what happened

they would have canceled the Disc and given you a letter to show that the car is taxed but the disc was lost

then they would have re-issued a new disc to your address

phone calls won't get you anywhere you need to got off your ass and spend 10 mins down the local DVLA office :L

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Just curious, but howcome when you bought the car, the previous owner didn't make a point of sending in the V5 with your information on it??

When I bought my Mondeo, the previous owner and I sat down for 2 mins, filled out the relevant information and he sent it off. I kept the left-over part until the V5 arrived.

So even if the guy hadn't sent it off (which would ironically place any speeding camera offences into his posession) I had the counterpart to prove the Vehicle was in my posession.

I am just curious as to why/how you hadn't changed it straight over. Did he leave the postage up tp you, and you forgot?

As for your tax disk, I agree with Norfolk. Go into your local one and ask them if they can check to see the letters have been recieved. The police won't do anything. The disk needs to be cancelled and a new one re-issued.
If the guy is actually using the disk, he will eventually get caught, and the DVLA my ensure that. If he has requested a refund, then my guess is that the refund will go directly to the Credit Card you used to pay for the tax.

Just as a side note:
I hope that no-one uses this experience against the online purchase of a TAX disk. I have completed this twice so far and will continue to complete it this way in the future for both my vehicle and my dads. It is a much simpler way and more convenient. As soon as the reminder comes, you can pay online and get the disk delivered (usually in 2-3 days ... I have had next day!) and away you go. It truly is a masterpiece.
I did get stung with the new emmissions law tho. Online prices were correct and cost me £20 more for a 12month disk. Had i gone to the post office, this charge wouldn't have been made. But the site did warn me of this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.