Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Megger
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, got a coupla queries someone can hopefully help me with.

Am on the look out for a facelift Zetec S TDCi to replace my aging Mk1 TD. was passing a local Ford dealer today, popped in on the off chance, and b*gger me they had 3 of the blighters, all within budget :woot: , an 04 plate in Platinum silver and 2 x 53 plates, both in Nocturno (is that right?) blue, which is the colour I ideally want.

First question - the salesman told me that there are some Zetec S on the go which show as Ghia on the log book - says that they have taken a few up as Ford direct cars and had this, and in fact the one that I test drove was logged as a Ghia. Anyone else seen this? Have to admit it made me a bit wary..... Was also a bit wary as it had a towbar fitted, and the salesman told me that the previous owner used it to tow a caravan. When I drove it, the clutch seemed to bite really low, is this normal or a sign that towing the van has knackered the clutch?

Second question - price. It was a 53 plate hatch, Ford Direct plus one local owner since Sep 04. Specced up, had Xenon lights, the multispoked alloys rather than the 5 spoke (althought I actually prefer the 5 spoke), rear parking sensors (or is this standard?). Miles were 25k. Was on the forecourt at 8995, for a straight deal I was offered it for 8500 with a three year parts and labour warranty, and three years recovery. Does this seem about right? It's exactly the spec and colour that I want, but at the same time, I'm not going to pay through the nose for it.

There was a second one in the same colour sitting alongside it on the forecourt, same age, but a 4 door. it had done 57k, but was a grand cheaper. I know that these engines go on forever, but I do a bit of miles, and intend keeping the car for a good few years, so I'd rather pay a bit more and get lower miles given the option.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Based on the Zetec TDCi 128bhp (130PS)
PRICES :
Dealer £9,345
Private £8,545
Part exchange £8,295
Trade £7,945
Cost new £18,127

Based on the Zetec TDCi 113bhp (115PS)
Dealer £8,995
Private £8,195
Part exchange £7,995
Trade £7,595
Cost new £18,135

If he is offering it for £8500 with 3 years Parts & Labour (make sure it covers the clutch) and 3 years breakdown recovery then see how much he will give you for yours aswel. Sounds like a decent buy to me.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
All these cars you are veiwing,to look at are
Zetec-S,it's only on the V5 that they are listed
as GHIA.
Everything else about the car says yes i am a
ZETEC-S.

·
MEG Corporal
1,133 Posts
Clutches do bite really low on all TDCi's due to the hydraulic clutch and dual mass flywheel.
Mondeo TDCi's laugh at towing, they are rated at 1800kg but no caravanner would tow more than the Mondeo's kerbside weight of around 1500kg.
Even with a caravan on the back the Mondeo cruises on the motorway with a light throttle. A towing TDCi will even return 34mpg which shows how little they are being stressed.

Cheers
Lee

·
Megger
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the quick replies guys!

ConcreteMonkey said:
If he is offering it for £8500 with 3 years Parts & Labour (make sure it covers the clutch) and 3 years breakdown recovery then see how much he will give you for yours aswel. Sounds like a decent buy to me.
I did query whether the clutch was covered by the warranty and he said yes, so hopefully if worst came to worst, it would be honoured and not put down to general wear and tear.

£8500 is for a straight deal - I will get a better deal that way rather than trying to deal my old boat. Can still punt the old un through the free ads for a couple of hundred.

I'm kinda wishing that I hadn't gone to look now - I'm waiting to hear about a payrise at work which will be paying for the car, and said that I wasn't going to buy until I knew it was all in the bag. At the mo it looks like it could still fall through :(

·
Big Megger
240 Posts
My Zetec S was originally registered as a Ghia. I bought it as used with just 29 miles on the clock . I was worried about the insurance being void if the car was incorrectly declared.
In the end I found out who the original dealer was that initially supplied the car, took the documents back to them, and they had to send them off to the DVLA and have it corrected. I bought the car in December 2003, but did not see a correct registration document until March or April of 2004!!!!!
I tow a caravan with mine and it does not struggle at all. They are a beautifil drive, if a little thirsty.
Have fun with yours when you get it :L

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Ive never heard of a ZS being registered as a Ghia before. Its either one or the other surely? Mine used to tow a ruddy great big caravan around before i got it and still has the towbar fitted. My clutch bite is quite low down and its nothing at all to worry about, as someone else said its where its supposed to be. If its high up and difficult to engage reverse then thats when your going to have problems! The only thing is, if its been towing big caravans about then it will have put a lot of strain on the subframe bushes/rest of the rear suspension. Mines only covered 35k miles and the rear subframe bushes are shot and need replacing.

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
Zetecs-S's are the muts nuts

buy it buy it buy it buy it!

·
Megger
156 Posts
cotter said:
First question - the salesman told me that there are some Zetec S on the go which show as Ghia on the log book - says that they have taken a few up as Ford direct cars and had this, and in fact the one that I test drove was logged as a Ghia. Anyone else seen this? Have to admit it made me a bit wary
I wouldn't worry.

I bought mine from Fords of Winsford. It's a Ghia, but was down as a Zetec S. They said they'd had quite a few from Ford like this. V5 says one thing, car is another.

VIN etc match up, just the modem's wrong on the V5.

HTH

Pete.

·
Registered
487 Posts
all zetec s tdci's are the 128bhp flavour ...

get a tuning box on it .. weeeeeeeeeee

see links in tdci160s sig for pics.. you can see what bumpers + sideskirts it should have .. (pic link at bottom of my sig to )

see my sig for an indication of mpg , based on town / A + B road use

·
Big Megger
240 Posts
[quote name=TDCi 160+]
BigAls said:
They are a beautifil drive, if a little thirsty.
Thirsty? A TDCi?[/quote]

38 MPG average over 41000 miles seems a little thirsty to me, and believe me, I try and drive it carefully most of the time. 47 MPG was my best ever, Birmingham top Dover at 70 / 75 MPH

·
Diesel Head
1,929 Posts
im getting 38 mpg thrashing it to death...48mpg on the motorway though at about 85mph ish

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
god! I wish i could get 38MPG taking it 'grandfatherly' lol :headshake: but erm.. did put some air in the tyres yesterday (ahem first time in 4 months!) 21psi in front left, 26psi Front right, 27 and 30 in the back ones! so things should improve a bit now... still low at 31mpg even with those tyres i think for a TDDi 115!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.