Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help please the Cruise Control on my Ford Mondeo mk4 Petrol Hatchback 2010.

If i try to set my Cruise Control. I get the Cruise Control Standby light come up on my dashboard but as soon as I push set button the Cruise Control switches OFF.
I know it will do this if I have a problem with the Engine or if the ECU thinks there is a problem with the motor. But I have no Faults on the ECU reader I have had the ECU read 3 times now and none of them found any faults.at all..

The Cruise Control used to work just fine until about a week ago and now like I said it will go on standby but as soon as I push the button to. Try to set it turn it OFF
I have tried to blow air down behind the button as suggested on YouTube but that has not worked

Can anybody help or suggest how to fix this problem.. Please Thank You

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, It has been suggested that there is a fuse soldered to the PCB assembly that the Squib (Clock Spring) & indicator stalks connect, it is contained within the plastic housing directly behind the steering wheel.
The Lead free solder may deteriorate over a period of time & prevent the necessary signals to be sent to the various modules... (I have taken a series of Photos showing its location)
Several people from other forums have said that re-soldering this fuse (Or replacing it) has resolved their CC problems

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is difficult to re-solder the SMD fuse in situ & I would suggest removing the PCB first in order to re-solder correctly.
Also various people have suggested the cleaning of the Button switch contacts? again this is quite a simple procedure & I have included a series of photos showing how to disassemble & clean the contacts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, It has been suggested that there is a fuse soldered to the PCB assembly that the Squib (Clock Spring) & indicator stalks connect, it is contained within the plastic housing directly behind the steering wheel.
The Lead free solder may deteriorate over a period of time & prevent the necessary signals to be sent to the various modules... (I have taken a series of Photos showing its location)
Several people from other forums have said that re-soldering this fuse (Or replacing it) has resolved their CC problems

Thank you for your reply And I have no idea if this would cause an intermittent problem But I think that is what I may have went out in the car today. Tried to engage the Cruise control again and it worked. So, it would appear I have an intermittent problem As I did turn the Cruise Control ON and OFF a few times and it worked some times but not every time. I mean it turned off every time but some time would not go back ON..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have misplaced my edited photos of the procedure, As soon as I manage to find them I will post them here
Thank you for your reply And I have no idea if this would cause an intermittent problem But I think that is what I may have went out in the car today. Tried to engage the Cruise control again and it worked. So, it would appear I have an intermittent problem As I did turn the Cruise Control ON and OFF a few times and it worked some times but not every time. I mean it turned off every time but some time would not go back ON..
That seems to be very similar to the issues being mentioned & that the moving of the steering wheel column seems to correct the fault occasionally? some suggest it could be a faulty clock spring or the SMD Fuse both of which are moved marginally when the steering column is adjusted, I have a series of photos for the testing of the Clock spring if its of use to you? the clock spring is subject to a lot of movement over the life of the car & would fail over a period of time? they're not expensive & are reasonably easy to replace but must be setup correctly when being installed in order to prevent being damaged (Again very simple, the setup instructions are clearly written on the clock spring itself Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the off chance that I attempt to set my Journey Control. I gain the Journey Influence Backup light come up on my dashboard yet when I press set button the Voyage Control turns OFF.
I realize it will do this in the event that I disapprove of the Motor or on the other hand assuming that the ECU thinks there is an issue with the engine. In any case, I have no Deficiencies on the ECU peruser I have had the ECU perused multiple times now and not even one of them found any faults.at all..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have misplaced my edited photos of the procedure, As soon as I manage to find them I will post them here

That seems to be very similar to the issues being mentioned & that the moving of the steering wheel column seems to correct the fault occasionally? some suggest it could be a faulty clock spring or the SMD Fuse both of which are moved marginally when the steering column is adjusted, I have a series of photos for the testing of the Clock spring if its of use to you? the clock spring is subject to a lot of movement over the life of the car & would fail over a period of time? they're not expensive & are reasonably easy to replace but must be setup correctly when being installed in order to prevent being damaged (Again very simple, the setup instructions are clearly written on the clock spring itself View attachment 259913
On the off chance that I attempt to set my Journey Control. I gain the Journey Influence Backup light come up on my dashboard yet when I press set button the Voyage Control turns OFF.
I realize it will do this in the event that I disapprove of the Motor or on the other hand assuming that the ECU thinks there is an issue with the engine. In any case, I have no Deficiencies on the ECU peruser I have had the ECU perused multiple times now and not even one of them found any faults.at all..

Ok thank you for your reply I have booked it into the Garage now so hopefully they will be able to sort it out. They said they would sort it out or not charge me..

·
Registered
2013 Mondeo Titanium X Sport Ecoboost
350 Posts
It's most likely dirty contacts in the switches on the steering wheel.
I had exactly the same problem on my last car, a 2010 Sport estate.
To rectify the problem, I removed the airbag fuse, then the airbag in order to gain access to the screws securing the right hand controls to the steering wheel. I then, very carefully, opened up the switch. Inside you find a rubber membrane with with a few metal contacts. A light going over with some medium grit sandpaper to remove any tarnishing, then put the switch back together and refit.
Never had any further problems with my cruise control

1 - 9 of 9 Posts