Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember reading somewhere that its not possible to fit the bits and bobs off a petrol to a diesel car, in order to give my TD cruise control.

My question is why not?

Or if im wrong, does it fit with a little modification?

Is it the VSS is different on the diesel?

Having read the how to thing for a mk1 petrol, I cant quite see what the problem would be?

Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Simon

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
As far as i am aware fitting cruise on a TD is not possible thats why ford never did it even on the Ghia X TD's :( something to do with the fact the TD doesnt have a proper ECU ..old school diesel

·
S-Edition Wagon, 240Ps 2nd one as 1st one had a br
324 Posts
Simon,

Don't know about the use of a petrol cruise control unit, but I have an aftermarket CC kit in my Mk2 TD (had one in my Mk1 TD as well).

There is absolutely no reason why it should not work. It is an electronically controlled servo, which pulls the throttle cable. Works beautifully.

One remarkable thing though, the CC has to be configured for a "high performance" car! This makes the CC react slowly and carefully, which is good because the TD does have enough torque to be a bit jumpy (up down up down up down) with the CC set to "low performance car".

I think the vehicle speed sensor or pulse is the same as on a petrol. Should work just fine.

Hope this helps!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

David

·
324 Posts
yes there IS a VSS pulse, it is on the speedo, the radio AND the clock in the dash. IIRC it is a white/blue wire...

I used it for the aftermarket CC...

David

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is where it all started, I read on one of your posts, david, that you have after market CC fitted (I seem to remember reading you also have the proper ford wheel - or am i imangining that?).
Anyway, having looked for one of these kits, I came to a dead end, as nowhere round here seems to sell them, and to import one would be extortionate!

I then looked again at the PDF thing I found in another post ages ago, and looking at the diagrams etc, the CC has nothing to do with the ECU, other than the VSS.

Now what is mentioned above about the torque and the high performance car setting, is possibly why the ford stuff wont work (might be a bit to jumpy, comming from a 2.0 petrol).

If anyone else has any experience / comments, please let me know :L .

Id be happy to fit a universal kit, but i cant find one, although id be happier if it was the propper ford wheel and indicators.

Cheers for the help so far, and happy new year everyone.

·
324 Posts
No I don't have the Ford wheel. :( have been trying to get hold of one, but they are a bit (too) expensive...

I have an extra stick besides the wheel. Oh well... it works.

Good luck with your search. I will try to find you some details on the CC kit I have.

David

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah if you wouldnt mind, like I said, I cant seem to find any suppliers in the UK. It must have been someone else who has the propper wheel to make it all work.

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
Stoep said:
No I don't have the Ford wheel. :( have been trying to get hold of one, but they are a bit (too) expensive...

I have an extra stick besides the wheel. Oh well... it works.

Good luck with your search. I will try to find you some details on the CC kit I have.

David
Would be very very interested as well.

jcth1

·
324 Posts
Hi all,

I have a ZEMCO AP500 after market CC kit in my car. The TD needs an electric servo, it won't run a vacuum servo (so I have been told).

http://www.wvopzeeland.nl/zemco.html

Don't know if you can get them....

I can recommend these. I fitted this or similar units to my previous cars too and all performed fine. No failures.

Quite willing to help you find an address that will ship, if you want to.

HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

David

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only thing about that is the cost, in the states they are only about £50, over here the cheapest I can get is in the region of £300... which is a little over the top for what I wanted. Which is why im interested in the original ford gear.
Cheers
Simon

·
2,220 Posts
What knocks the after market cruise off Stoep like if you break??

jcth1

·
Big Megger
253 Posts
Fitting the original cruise control in a 1.8 TD is possible!!! I went to my Ford dealer to buy an actuator cable for my MK1 2.0 and the customer shown me the list of different cables for it, and there was a cable for the 1.8 TD engine too!!!!! :L

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
neretva said:
Fitting the original cruise control in a 1.8 TD is possible!!! I went to my Ford dealer to buy an actuator cable for my MK1 2.0 and the customer shown me the list of different cables for it, and there was a cable for the 1.8 TD engine too!!!!! :L
there isnt in the uk.

the main problem with the cruise control is the cable from the actuator i think its canned? but if you got a longer cable or repositioned the actuator you would still need a bracket to fit the cable which could be custom made.

·
324 Posts
JCTH1 said:
What knocks the after market cruise off Stoep like if you break??

jcth1
I'm sorry, I missed this response (been to France for work a lot...)....

To be honest I don't understand your question.

A cc kit can be had from www.conrad.nl.Don't know if they ship.

Connecting the cable is easy. The TD has a speed pulse, so hooking that up is easy too.

Was this the answer to your q?

David

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
he means if you press the brake pedal what stops the cruise control from doing its job

·
324 Posts
totalguy said:
he means if you press the brake pedal what stops the cruise control from doing its job
LOL, I see now... - Cheers TG

It connects to the brake light switch. Simple and easy install. You COULD also add a clutch-switch. I have not though...

David

·
2,220 Posts
the revive this as i do alot of motorway miles and would consider shelling some cash out on one in the summer i was hoping Stoep could link us directly to the page where the CC kit is please.

I cant understand a work of dutch (i assume that its dutch) so have no comprehension of navigating the site.

jcth1

·
Administrator
13,790 Posts
I always thought that the TD had no VSS, if it has a ford VSS then I see no reason why you can't fit the standard ford rig.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.