Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TalkFord is Arse, Bring back MEG!
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrgghh as some may re-call I had a problem with the car over revving, so I shelled out the £40+VAT on a new IAC Valve. And guess what? This morning it started its games. Thing is it only revs up when I moving and when I stop coming say coming to junction or something and I have to dip the clutch, if you blip the accelorator on stand still it won't do it but it will cut out saying that when the revs drop back down. Its driving me beserk! ANy Ideas, something for me to toy with over the weekend :(

·
Big Megger
233 Posts
Have a good look at anything to do with the vacuum system, there are a few pipes at the back of the engine that, if they have a crack in them, or are not fitting tight enough, will produce these effects.

And the PCV system too. If any part of that is blocked with gunk, that will cause problems too.

The intermitance is caused by the changes in heat, position and vibration. Even just as the engine twists on its mountings, it could open a gap somewhere and let more air in than it should. Or if something is trapped and is not letting air through. Some of the ribbed plastic pipes get a bit brittle and crack, and the cracks are hard to see too.

Try that first off :L

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'd have thought a vacuum leak would happen at all conditions.

Seems like your emissions setting in the ecu have gone a bit bonkers.

THF still in place coz it is that which stops it.

Can't remember if you took it off or not

·
Registered
305 Posts
Did you use a new gasket when fitting the new valve?

I had the same trouble with mine but used red instant gasket to make sure there were no leaks.

Also try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins to reset the ecu etc.

Can you hear any hissing sounds from the back of the engine. this would indicate a vacuum leak which is normally a broken pipe or something.

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Check the TB plate for sticking/wear.

·
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok didn't use a new gasket or any sealer as the other one didn't have any on. Can't here any hissing BUT the pipe that goes onto the egr valve I fractured it, but that's also being blocked off so can't see that making a difference. It's all coming off next week to clean the secondries and put the SVT LIM on

·
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VSS Sensor? My speedo is fine ta!

·
Big Megger
197 Posts
Sometimes it pays to start with the simplest thing first......i had a very similar problem, pulling up to a junction & my revs would go through the roof. After replacing vacuum pipes, manifold gaskets etc. I discovered that a piece of the soundproofing on the underside of the bonnet was hanging down & getting trapped in the throttle assembly :innocent:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts