Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MEG Ba5tard!
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would never have started doing this if I knew what a bloody nightmare i've had. To cut a long story short the dash clock bulbs are killing me. I bought some LED's to go into the standard ford bulb holder but they just seem to blow the fuse when i turn the lights on. Is there something I need to do to get the bulbs into the holder correctly. Needless to say I ended up winging them over a hedge. Does anybody know where I can get some LED's that are premade with the mondeo type of bulb holder so I dont have to piss about with them. On another note when I fitted one of them not only did the fuse go but it melted a part of the printed circuit on the back of the clocks so now I need to find one of them. The couple that I did get to work were so feeble I was not impressed. Any advice would be appreciated as i'm sulking about it. cheers people

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
I know exactly what you done wrong. I actually just warned Avinitlarge about it a couple of nights ago.

When you fitted teh LEDs into the standard holders, some of the LEDs come so that one and of the flat spade thing is live and teh other end is earth. However the ford holders require it to be one of the sides is live and teh other side be earth. Its not easy to explain, ill draw a diagram

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
the diagram swow the bottom of the 286 LED. the coloured lines represent wires. Red being live and blue being earth (black didnt stand out quite as well)

The one on the left is how some but not all 286 sized LEDs come. The one on teh right is how ford want it to be connected. You only need one part live and one part earth in the right picture rather than 2 live and 2 earth like it shows. Anyway if you look at the left one you can see how you managed to short the cicuit out. All you neeed to do is to bend teh contacts on the LEDs so taht it looks more live teh ford version and it will work (once you fix the PCB that it)

Attachments

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
My 286 bulbs came today and I notice the problem straight away, Stupid idea really, Easy to sort though

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
Which ones have you got, You got a link or a pic?

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
The flat top ones are best as they spear the light better rather than just being spots. Iv already offered to fit the bulbs into holders for someone else (done thru post) If you want i will do yours too

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
on the subject of flat top leds , i seem to recall something about sanding a 'flat' on dome top ones , is that right or am i being terminically thick :eek13: :}

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
but i assume not too far or kaput !!!!!!!!!!!! , i was just wondering if it will make any difference to the 3 mm led's i fitted to my heated screens buttons , or should i be happy and leave well alone :sad: :L

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
What i usually do is to snip the ends off the LEDs. But as you say sont go too far down. It work quite well and only takes a second to do.

Yes taking the roundness off the 3mm LEDs will make a difference. You will probably find that you have a very bright spot with it much duller nearer the edges as it is

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
thanks for that , as the leds are only 10 p each from maplins i might give it a go and see what happens :L

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.