Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im a new user and need help with my 1996 Ford Mondeo Mk1 GLX HC.

I have recently lost my dashboard lights and my tail lights at a simultaneous time and i have seen my local mechanic and they said i need a new switch replacement. i dont think he is 100% correct as i think it may be the electrical wiring behind the switch that may have been damaged. I cant drive at night time because i will get pulled over easily. I looked on ebay for a switch and there is only one for 50 dollars which seems an awful lot for jsut a piece of plastic. Is there anything else i can do? or fix the problem myself? thanks alot for your help and replies if you do read this :)

·
ST200 Limited Ghia X
6,508 Posts
first port of call is clean the earth pin on the headlight on/off switch connector. you will find it to be a bit corroded if it is to blame.

then try replacing the switch.

Iv ehad both go on my mondeo ownership over 11 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry man im not too sure where to find earth pin on the headlight on/off switch connector

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah the ones at the front work and my mechanic has checked the fuses and says its the switch, so i dont know

·
ST200 Limited Ghia X
6,508 Posts
just look at the headlight switch connector to see if theres any corrosion on the terminals.

·
Getting on a bit...
142 Posts
I would agree with that, either the switch or the multiplug, though it seems odd that the front sidelights work but the rears don't. Do the front and/or rear sidelights work with the switch in the "park" position? You should get sidelights but no instrument illumination or number plate lights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah my "park" ones work fine as their supposed to, the headlights stay on once the key is out, but when they are on the setting which is normal for it to be on, they turn off as soon as the engine is off instead of staying on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts