Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Megger
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ho one and all,

I see more and more cars with daylight running lights obviously due to the ultra-bright LED tha can virtually blind one.

Given that most accidents are not the result of mechanical issues, but caused by idiots behind the wheel driving dangerously, is there and evidence that proves daylight running lights reduce the number of accidents?

Or is it, in my humble opinion, just a trend to 'add value' to the advertising blurb?

Toodle pip

·
Little Megger
4,769 Posts
That word definitely merits three S'ss ! :)

·
Megger
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link. Reads like a whole lotta mumbo-jumbo to me. As for the 'dazzle', some are certainly overly bright.

My feeling is, if I cannot see the approaching car with my regular eye sight, then I should not be driving. Another good reason to keep my Mondie Mk3 which does not have DRL.

·
Hiding under a Rock
957 Posts
Well, what I see more and more these days is, a lot people don't turn on their head lights at dusk (or even in the completely dark) with bright DRL and also bright street lights.
In cases where cars don't have DRL and they happen to be driving under bright street lights with no head lights on, the cars are virtually invisible and this is a real danger.

·
Super Moderator
31,434 Posts
Driven mine with at night with just the DRL's.... Yep they are that bright.

·
Megger
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

How does that work out? I thought DRL came on with the ignition but was automatically off with the regular lights; in which case, you were night driving without rear lights?

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,477 Posts

How does that work out? I thought DRL came on with the ignition but was automatically off with the regular lights; in which case, you were night driving without rear lights?
You are correct in their operation and more and more people drive at night with their drls instead of lights meaning the tail lights are off. Another problem is dash lights illuminate too so it's not like thinking (seems dark in the cab) will trigger you to turn them on.

Turning on side lights simply dims the drls and turns the rear lights on

Reactions: ul9601

·
Hiding under a Rock
957 Posts
The answer is auto head lights. Can't go wrong. These days most cars have them anyway and more and more cheaper end cars will have them.

·
Registered
Mondeo MK5 Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
647 Posts

Then Ford started using them in place of sidelights on the Mondeo MK4.5 so the DRL stayed on all the time. Although with the lights on they cut to 50% power so arn't as bright. The DRL's on my MK4.5 were a lot brighter than the ones on my MK5. Although that may just be the different style of light.

·
I Love Diesel
2,509 Posts
I've noticed that on some cars the respective DRL is extinguished when the driver is indicating. Presumably this is because the DRL is masking the indicator if it's close by. Or is it just another gimmick? It's all got too complicated!

·
Super Moderator
31,434 Posts
Yeah if the DRL is close to the indicator they usually dim. Seems someone had the thought that an extra bright white
light next to the indicator would mask it to some degree.

·
I Love Diesel
2,509 Posts
Yeah if the DRL is close to the indicator they usually dim. Seems someone had the thought that an extra bright white
Yeah, probably the same person who researched that DRLs could reduce accidents by 6%. And got paid millions for it.

·
Hiding under a Rock
957 Posts
Well, it does. some cars turn off DRL when indicator goes on and some don't. Under certain lighting conditions, those lights blend in. It's pretty silly to have them in the adjacent locations in the first place, The same goes for the head lights.

·
Super Moderator
31,434 Posts
Bit like fog lights had to be 12" away from the brake lights then some cars had them in the same light cluster.
Handy when your brake lights just blew a fuse and there is a policecar behind you. :X

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well, what I see more and more these days is, a lot people don't turn on their head lights at dusk (or even in the completely dark) with bright DRL and also bright street lights.
In cases where cars don't have DRL and they happen to be driving under bright street lights with no head lights on, the cars are virtually invisible and this is a real danger.
In the UK, that is totally legal, you are only required to use sidelights after dark on roads with street lighting, you are not required to use headlights unless the road is unlit.

I have had arguments twice with police on that subject, both times making them look very stupid when i pulled up the legislation on the government website.

One of those coppers was so pissed at being made to look stupid he tried to stitch me up on a false driving offence many months later but that backfired spectacularly when he lied in his statement many times on easily provable things, the prosecution dropped it instantly and i won a IOPC complaint against him leading to disciplinary action. Steve-2, Butthurt Copper-0 lol

There was a third time where a copper stepped out in the road and stopped me to tell me i was breaking the law but when she became argumentative i wasnt in the mood so i just drove off again which probably hurts the power trip of them more ha ha.

Dont blanket hate all coppers but not a fan of the Old Bill round here if you hadn't already guessed :ROFLMAO:

·
Little Megger
4,769 Posts
Hi, last time I looked it up, sidelights only are permitted in 30mph zones, so once you get to a 40 mph zone you have to switch headlights on.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi, last time I looked it up, sidelights only are permitted in 30mph zones, so once you get to a 40 mph zone you have to switch headlights on.
No, any road with street lighting:
4. Lighting requirements (113 to 116)

You MUST
  • ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
  • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
  • use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).
The regulations are merely saying roads with streetlights are generally 30mph unless otherwise specified but not stating headlights must be used above 30mph, a road with streetlights but posted with a higher speed such as 40, 50 ect is still legal on sidelights.

It does not expressly prohibit this on any specific road either (which it must to be law) so technically, you can drive on sidelights on a lit dual carriageway or motorway at 70mph!

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
703 Posts
to be honest i dont see the point in sidelights since cars have parking lights, and where i used to work, the Iveco vans they used, the lightswitch HAD no sidelight setting. it was off or headlights, which in my opinion made sense. sidelights were a thing before parking lights, but in any event, you either NEED lights or you dont, when on the move. so why bother with a half arsed setting for sidelights? headlights only that could have dropped to sidelights with ignition off would have been doable even way back when the laws said sidelights were mandatory.

·
Megger
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see many buses that have a red circle of brake LED lights and the centre is amber indicator. When the brake is on, the amber is virtually invisible.

What do these idiots get paid to design stupidity? Is it something that can be studied at university?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts