Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new year soon upon us, and the cost of christmas looking to pass us within a month or so, I am already planning the New-Year mods for the mondeo.

Once the North West Rolling Road day has passed, I wish to make some engine modifications, ready for the second RR Day.

One of these mods would be a Dual Exhaust, with either a De-CAT or a Sports-CAT.

I think I am right in saying that a De-CAT would give more power than a Sports-CAT would, but what would the difference be when it comes to MOT time??
The Garage that I use has been used by my dad for years, and by me for 4 years with both the Mondeo and my previous car. The garage is really good, but the owner can be pretty strict when it comes to MOTs. But he is a top class bloke, has top class mechanics and does a top class job, So i would rather modify the car to please his MOT standards, rather than find an MOT station that will be a little more Lax.

So ... wuold a De-CAT make the car fail the Emmisions of an MOT or make it harder to pass, and would a Sports-CAT give me the desired increase in power without compromising the Emissions??

·
MEG Sergeant
1,308 Posts
if the pre-cats are in good condition they should get you passed the emissions test with a de-cat. I de cat should free up more power and be louder thena sports cat But if you got the sports cat you could then remove the precats which would free up more power.

·
MEG Sergeant
1,308 Posts
ConcreteMonkey said:
Am i right to assume that with a Sports CAT, I could replace the precats with a larger pipe to further increase the power??
Yes if you get a sports cat you could something like the MSDS Headers to replace the stock manifolds/precats and gain more power. It would also be agood idea to change the stock Y pipe as it seems to be quite restrictive :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.